Help... Oversteer

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

tomo

Help... Oversteer

Post by tomo »

Can anyone help me. I seem to be getting some snap oversteer. I currently have 17inch Alloys clad in 205/40 front and 235/40 rear. I am also currently on standard suspension although i have a set of PI 40mm Springs sat at my house. Any help much appreciated.

Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: Help... Oversteer

Post by Lauren »

What tyres do you have?

If you have TDFs (Taiwanese Ditch Finders) then think about getting something decent put on ie F1s or SO3s. At this time of year when its very slippy out there decent tyres are a must.

Also it may be how you are driving, particularly so when it comes to throttle movement. You need to really smooth.

I know that that the tubby is tricky because the torque comes in thick and fast as soon as the turbo spools.
tomo

Post by tomo »

I think the tyres are Nangkangs. It's only an N/a so turbo power isn't the problem, and to be honest ever since i first got the car and got it sideways by accident i take it quite steady on corners.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Nankangs are TDFs for sure and are utter cack.

Change them asap!

You'll be amazed at the difference that decent tyres will make.
JJ

Post by JJ »

Lauren wrote:Nankangs are TDFs for sure and are utter cack.

Change them asap!

You'll be amazed at the difference that decent tyres will make.

I second that.... i can't image people sticking budget tyres on a car with a heavy ar$e end !

Safety first, put your money in the right direction.... good brakes, good tyres. :!:
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

I agree with Lauren on this one. Nankan's (aka ditch finders) are bad news on the MR2 regardless of whether you have the N/A or Turbo. You may as well fit some banana skins back there! lol

You need to invest in some decent rubber, specially coming into winter. I'm running FALKEN 451's at the moment which I find to be very good. If your budget allows go for the best that you can afford. If not then spend your money on a good set of rear tyres to begin with and upgrade the fronts when your more flush. You will suffer more understeer by only changing the rear's but that's better than bags of oversteer this time of year. Lauren is very knowledgable where tyres are concerned, so she will help choose which ones to go for...Lauren?

Once you have this sorted, you need to have some 4 wheel lazer tracking done. Typically this will set you back between £40 & £60 depending where you have it done. Once up in the air also check the condition of all the bushes whilst your at it. The key is to make good of all you have before upgrading verious components, good tyres, bushes and tracking are a must!

Hope this points you in the right direction buddy :wink:

Mikejc
michael

Post by michael »

tomo

Post by tomo »

Point taken!! I know where my chrimbo money will be going now! :D
pizza boy

Post by pizza boy »

Hehe I am also runnin "master bates"angs...up front tho..I destroyed my rears in a drift rampage which I suffer from occasionally.
To be fair they were ok"ish in the dry..but in the wet they are deathtraps. Lift off oversteers easily on mild bends. But I tell thee!...it does make you a super sensitive driver as your always on egde for a slip lol!
Replace em and keep em handy for thrashin :D
Or OOORRRR..drive reeeal slow...mr2s are not really ideal wet/winter weather cars anyway.
gtschris.com

Post by gtschris.com »

Just like to point out for the record i bought the car 1 week before the track day with them tyres on, yes they are xxxx.
www.gtschris.com
tel: 01670 737080
mob: 07786070103

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”