Frt RH Brake Caliper Seized - MKII

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

scann2

Frt RH Brake Caliper Seized - MKII

Post by scann2 »

Hey all, bu88er, was driving in this morning and the car started to judder quiet baddly, have noticed alittle over the last week but thought nothing of it really. Got out of car, checked wheel bearing all ok, but frt rh disc was smoking abit so i guess must be a piston seized. Have read through the forum here, anyone had this recently and what was their solution, i would imagine the whole caliper will be hard to remove from the disc but once off i can lube it up right? Typical for this to happen last day of work before xmas!!!! Help please, will tackle at lunchtime today, thanks.
Brian_S

Re: Frt RH Brake Caliper Seized - MKII

Post by Brian_S »

Caliper is easy to remove. Clamp the brake pipe and undo a couple of bolts. You can try doing a recondition of the caliper, but I could never get mine to behave properly so I just went to Brakes International *LINK* and got some reconditioned calipers from them. They have been fine ever since. I think they were around £70ea.

More expensive than doing it yourself, but not after you've already done a recon and the caliper still does act reliably!
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

Brian is right here. Your better off going for a fully reconed caliper i'm afraid. Brakes international will sort you out for around £80ish pounds but their will also be a surcharge on top of this wich will be fefunded once you send you old unit back to them. You can call them on -01706-666-999

It is advisable to change both sides at the same time as you will find that the new one will now be working 100% and the old unit less! More money I know but when it comes to brakes you can't afford to be too careful :wink:

Mikejc

Ps, i've some Black Diamond pads front and rear if you would also like to upgrade whilst your at it. They have covered less than 800 miles so still have plenty left in them. £25 and their yours?

Mikejc
motep

Post by motep »

One of my front calipers was dragging a few months ago. I brought a Caliper Recon kit and new pistons from Brakes Int. Turned out it was a perished dust boot which had, in turn, allowed loads of cr@p to get onto the piston and rust it. The kit came with all new parts, however, the rusted piston was a real b!tch to get out!! :shock:
Unless you're really skint, I'd advise the refurb caliper unit as it'll save a lot of swearing and bleeding knuckles!! :cry:
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

Again I agree here. If the piston has infact become worn and or scored the refurb kit not put this straight! :(

Mikejc
dai21t

Post by dai21t »

deleted
Last edited by dai21t on Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gasman

Post by gasman »

I got reconditioned caliper from fensport, dont know if they still do it as was a while ago, they send you a recon unit after payment and a deposit, then you send them the old one when replacing it for your deposit back. Quite a common problem I think.
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

I did have one from Fensport but sadly found out soon after that Brakes International are a lot cheaper :(

mikejc

Return to “Mechanical”