When my tubby is finished, how much will it be worth?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Paul R

When my tubby is finished, how much will it be worth?

Post by Paul R »

Hi,

As some of you know, I'm currently re-building my tubby engine and other bits. How much do you think it will be worth when it's finished?

The following is/will be the spec:

1990 mr2 GT T-Bar Turbo in red.
65,000 miles.
Uprated drop links
KYB gas shockers
New brake pads
Bodykit
Rev2 15" wheels with Yoko tyres.
Momo steering wheel

Completely re-built engine including:
All new gaskets and seals
All new turbo hosing
JE 86.5mm forged pistons
Re-bored cylinders
Uprated CT20B turbo (from a GT4)
De-cat pipe
Jasma exhaust (to be replaced by NUR spec I expect.)
6 pluck uprated clutch with uprated cover assembly and bearing.

This car will easily be capable of running 1.2bar and should be very quick and with an engine like new!! I have got some other bits to put on it too, but I cant remember as there is quite a lot of stuff!!
michael

Re: When my tubby is finished, how much will it be worth?

Post by michael »

£3000
Paul R

Post by Paul R »

michael wrote:£3000

Shut it tart!! :lol:

And this from the man who argued with me before that tubby's were worth more than I thought they were!! lol. You make me laugh sometimes!

Paul.
KiwiMR2

Post by KiwiMR2 »

Prices between countrys are intresting to compare.....something like what you describe would probably end up selling for around a MAXIMUM of $15,000-$16,000 NZD's. So thats about $5,675 GBP's- $6,056 GBP's. Is that what you would be expecting??

Cheers
KiwiMR2
Paul R

Post by Paul R »

KiwiMR2 wrote:Prices between countrys are intresting to compare.....something like what you describe would probably end up selling for around a MAXIMUM of $15,000-$16,000 NZD's. So thats about $5,675 GBP's- $6,056 GBP's. Is that what you would be expecting??

Cheers
KiwiMR2

Hi,

I was hoping for £3500 to £4000. I think that thats quite fair? It is going to be a mint car when I've finished with it!

Paul.
KiwiMR2

Post by KiwiMR2 »

Hi,

I was hoping for £3500 to £4000. I think that thats quite fair? It is going to be a mint car when I've finished with it!

Paul.

Right......well if that were here in NZ then you'd get that easy :)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/list ... x=0&go.y=0

Good luck with the sale when do go ahead with it :)

Cheers
KiwiMR2
Dave Goodhand

Post by Dave Goodhand »

I would've said you could probably push it for £5k... as I bought my Rev1 totally standard and in extremely good condition for 3.5k
The Morris

Post by The Morris »

If i bought it for £4k id think id done well
Paul R

Post by Paul R »

I'm glad that you guys think I could get a fair price for her.

It makes me feel better, knowing that I can get some decent money back after all the time and effort I've put into the car!

Cheers,

Paul.
lower

Post by lower »

i actually agree with mike. I sold my 92 rev2 turbo t-bar in mint standard condition for £4k a year ago. mr2 turbos, particularly early ones aren't worth beans anymore. you might get lucky and get someone willing to pay extra for the mods, but you'll have to hold out for the right buyer.

Paul R

Post by Paul R »

lower wrote:i actually agree with mike. I sold my 92 rev2 turbo t-bar in mint standard condition for £4k a year ago. mr2 turbos, particularly early ones aren't worth beans anymore. you might get lucky and get someone willing to pay extra for the mods, but you'll have to hold out for the right buyer.

I agree that I may have to wait for the right buyer, but 3k is just silly, sorry!! I sold my old Rev3 Turbo for 5k about 1.5 years ago because I wanted to sell quick. Theres no rush to sell this one though....and with a rebuilt engine, it would be a good buy!! It's gonna run for another 80,000 miles without a hitch!

Paul.
JJ

Post by JJ »

Kiwi dude, you fancy importing a few MR2s ??? :)
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
shafster

Post by shafster »

3-4k is about right, but it depends what you have had done to it.

mine is being sold as soon as it's back from the bodyshop with a few mods.

new engine
full bodykit
rev2 brakes and shocks
lowered
decat
red/pink seats

and thats going for 3.5k... i think that is a good deal considering the amount of money i've put into it over the years but some people may think it's over priced. at the end of the day if you find the right buyer you'll get closer to the 4k as they will appreciate the mods.

at least you have a realistic price, some guy on another forum is expecting to get 6k for his standard, mint rev2 and jumped all over me and called mine a sh1tter when i pointed out that it was at least 2k over priced and argued like toss that his was mint...... errrrr, yes mate of course it is :D
JUIC'IN

Post by JUIC'IN »

JJ wrote:Kiwi dude, you fancy importing a few MR2s ??? :)

Im sure the laws in New Zeland have changed like over here, but there ones are you can't import anything below a 1997 car. :shock:

A mate of mine over there has just imported 5 Skyline GT-R's just as the laws have changed, so he's stuck with 5 top end cars he can't shift! He's had to break them for parts instead. :roll:
dave wall

Post by dave wall »

yeah, its frightening how little modified cars are worth compared to what you spend. Mine in total owes me (including its purchase price) about £9k.....I doubt I'd even get half of that back if I sold it :( Saying that, I'd probably make more If is stripped it and sold it all seperately...seems a shame tho :(
stevecordiner

Post by stevecordiner »

Sorry at the end of the day its a rev 1 that's got a once blown rebuilt engine in it, I'd value it around 3k I'm afraid. If it had other supporting mods like an ECU upgrade and or cams then that would be different - obviously tho the main consideration would be the condition of the body work, interior, suspension etc as well
Small turbos - they're not big and they're not clever!

Just say NO to small turbos!
Paul R

Post by Paul R »

stevecordiner wrote:Sorry at the end of the day its a rev 1 that's got a once blown rebuilt engine in it, I'd value it around 3k I'm afraid. If it had other supporting mods like an ECU upgrade and or cams then that would be different - obviously tho the main consideration would be the condition of the body work, interior, suspension etc as well

Lol...who said anything about a blown engine? The engine has always run fine!

Paul.
Paul R

Post by Paul R »

Oh,

And I already said that it has uprated turbo, suspension and pistons! lol..

Did you read my post? :)

Paul.
Paul R

Post by Paul R »

stevecordiner wrote:Sorry at the end of the day its a rev 1 that's got a once blown rebuilt engine in it, I'd value it around 3k I'm afraid. If it had other supporting mods like an ECU upgrade and or cams then that would be different - obviously tho the main consideration would be the condition of the body work, interior, suspension etc as well

And you're saying if I put a pair of 250 quid cams in it then it will make it worth more??

Paul.
Last edited by Paul R on Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michael

Post by michael »

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”