injector sizes

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

nutter

injector sizes

Post by nutter »

Hi,

hmmm i think i may have made a error in my calculations i am building my rev 2 with the following :

TD06 turbo
TTE Headgasket
Wolfkatz fuel rail, aeromotive FPR, walbro Pump.
Pace CC
Link ECU.

I have a set of rev 3 injectors but after speaking with a few people I am starting to think they won't flow enough for my goal (around 300RWHP, or as much as i can get without sacrificing my weak standard pistons). Should I go for a set of 850's now. Or see how the rev3 injectors do on mapping and go from there?

thanks

Dean
Mikejc

Re: injector sizes

Post by Mikejc »

Hi Dean.

As you know i'm currently running the kind of power that your looking for. My rev3 injectors will hit 100% with anything above 6000rpm, sometimes less. I've ordered some Sard 800cc injectors to deal with this problem with the added bonus of them plugging straight in :D So fingers crossed that new Power Enterprises turbo of mine will be kept in check!

So to sum up buddy, I think you'll find yourself having the car remapped soon after your first visit with the rev3 injectors. Ideally you don't want to be running any more than 80% injector duty cycle so some 800cc's will be more than up to the job.

Once you decide what your looking for, let me know and i'll sort you out a good price on them :wink:

Mikejc
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

Hi Mike,

I'm curious about the price of the 800cc's :wink:

Cheers, Andy
TBDevelopments

Post by TBDevelopments »

Andy i was doing these for £399 set of 4 delivered. Drop in 800cc sard injectors.

If anyone is interested drop me aline at [email protected]

I will also do price matching if any company in the uk can beat that price all in to your door. You will also get the added bonus of buying from an established uk mr2 specalist which means full after sales service if anything happens or you need help.

Tim
xxxx
paul_h

Post by paul_h »

Andy Jones wrote:Hi Mike,

I'm curious about the price of the 800cc's :wink:

Cheers, Andy

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=756

hth

paul
paul_h

Post by paul_h »

nutter wrote:Hi,

hmmm i think i may have made a error in my calculations i am building my rev 2 with the following :

TD06 turbo
TTE Headgasket
Wolfkatz fuel rail, aeromotive FPR, walbro Pump.
Pace CC
Link ECU.

I have a set of rev 3 injectors but after speaking with a few people I am starting to think they won't flow enough for my goal (around 300RWHP, or as much as i can get without sacrificing my weak standard pistons). Should I go for a set of 850's now. Or see how the rev3 injectors do on mapping and go from there?

thanks

Dean

Have a word with garrett over at wolfkatz,

he will be able to get you a set of the blitz 850's over here for about £375 all inc with the current exchange rates.

paul
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

I was led to believe that we were not allowed to advertise in such a blatant way on IMOC!?

But just for the record. We too are able to offer full support should anything go wrong with any of our products.

Mikejc
nutter

Post by nutter »

Cheers paul and others,

I looked into wolfkatz but the £375 doesn't account for duty if it gets trapped by customs, and most of my stuff from the states seems to :( . Anyway i went with Mike in the end, he did me a good deal and if he meeses me about i'll let his tyres down :) .
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

For the power levels that you are after, you could get away with the standard Rev3 injectors, but what you need to do is ensure that the aftermarket fuel pump you have chosen can run higher pressures without affecting the fuel flow too much.

At the moment, I've got 900cc injectors on, with a HOOOGE Group A Fuel rail, but fueling starts to drop off a bit at higher RPM. I'm still running sufficiently rich, but I reckon that my stock pump is not keeping up and maintaining a decent enough pressure, especially at 1.5bar. I'm due to fit an uprated inline fuel pump and swirl pot to cure this.

If you've got a good standalone ECU, a decent fuel pump and proper tuning then the stock Rev3 injectors will be fine for your goals. But if you need to go any higher in terms of power output, then source the injectors now!
TBDevelopments

Post by TBDevelopments »

the problem with wolfkatz products are is that there not mr2 injectors. there RX-7 injectors with a small adaptor.

I can't see why anyone would want to buy a product that has been bodged to do the job when you can get the product that was made to do the job for the same price.

Tim
xxxx
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

In my own rev3 I ran into problems with the standed injectors. I'm currently pushing 293 bhp @ the hubs. Anything above 6000 rpm and the injectors hit 100%.

As for letting you down Dean, if I do you have permission to slash my tyres :lol: :wink:

Mikejc
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

Mikejc wrote:In my own rev3 I ran into problems with the standed injectors. I'm currently pushing 293 bhp @ the hubs. Anything above 6000 rpm and the injectors hit 100%.

Mike, what AFR is this at, what boost, what fuel pump, what base pressure and what ECU is controlling it all? I'm pretty convinced that you could get 300RWHP from the stock 540s, you just need the right supporting bits. I had 280RWHP (about the same as your 293ATH) on the stock engine, stock turbo, etc, and it was overfueling like a b!tch, despite the Unichip taking away as much fuel as it could (AFRs were in the low 11s).

Now, I'm running more boost but on a rebuilt motor (1.5bar instead of 1.3), and with bigger injectors, but the limitation in my fueling is because the stock pump can't cope. Even the stock injectors would cope with the a better pump.
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

Have a peek at my profile for the mods to date :wink:

At the time the car was mapped I was infact still using the standed fuel pump, however I do not think this was causing my problem. I base this on the fact that the pump was obviously allowing me enough fuel to reach 100% injector duty cycle, there for the pump must have been doing all that was asked of it!?

I believe the AFR was around 11-1. Boost @ 1.2 bar. And in control of the show was the Apexi Power FC

Mikejc :wink:
paul_h

Post by paul_h »

Mikejc wrote:I was led to believe that we were not allowed to advertise in such a blatant way on IMOC!?

But just for the record. We too are able to offer full support should anything go wrong with any of our products.

Mikejc

seems a lot more relaxed on the boards since it switched. Maybe there are new less strict moderators :D

You get used to the spamming after a while thats all some people seem to do :D
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

Mikejc wrote:Have a peek at my profile for the mods to date :wink:

Yep, I've seen that, but that would have led me down the garden path without this other snippet of info...

Mikejc wrote:At the time the car was mapped I was infact still using the standed fuel pump, however I do not think this was causing my problem.

How do you know? ;) Were you monitoring fuel rail pressures?

Mikejc wrote:I base this on the fact that the pump was obviously allowing me enough fuel to reach 100% injector duty cycle, there for the pump must have been doing all that was asked of it!?

I don't see the logic there. So what if you're having to go up to that duty cycle? That obviously means you don't have enough fuel available. That could be for a number of different reasons. You can't do it with guess work.

Mikejc wrote:I believe the AFR was around 11-1. Boost @ 1.2 bar. And in control of the show was the Apexi Power FC

OK, 11-1 is very rich, plenty of fuel that could be taken out there. 1.2Bar is not that much, at least not to affect the fuel pump pressure.

You see, fuel rail pressure rises with boost. On a turbo car, you want to be using a 1:1 pump pressure-to-boost fuel regulator. Therefore, if you set base fuel pressure at 40psi, fuel rail pressure will be:

40+14.5psi = 54.5psi (at 1Bar Boost)
40+15.9psi = 55.9pis (at 1.1Bar Boost)
etc

Now, you have to take into account the characteristics of any given fuel pump. Any pump's flow capability decreases as the fuel pressure is raised. Some are better than others in flowing well at high rail pressures. Also, some pumps have an internal pressure relief valve. I've seen some pumps actually bypassing most of the fuel back into the tank when the fuel rail pressure reaches the pump's internal relief valve pressure. You sure as hell ain't gonna get the fuel flow then! ;)

I think that the stock pump starts to have issues in maintaining the desired fuel pump pressure at boost levels in excess of 1.3bar. Therefore, when you start to run more boost than this, the desired fuel rail pressure becomes too much for the stock pump to maintain. This is what it seems I'm experiencing at the moment, despite larger injectors, so it seems that no matter what injectors I use, I'll still have an issue with maintaining the right fuel rail pressure when on heavy boost.

Since the guy was wondering what to do for his specific needs, I still believe that he can achieve what he's after with the stock injectors. An uprated fuel pump and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator are needed, IMHO.
Last edited by MR2Mania on Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paul_h

Post by paul_h »

xxxx wrote:the problem with wolfkatz products are is that there not mr2 injectors. there RX-7 injectors with a small adaptor.

I can't see why anyone would want to buy a product that has been bodged to do the job when you can get the product that was made to do the job for the same price.

Tim
xxxx

Because his products are of very high quality. You only have to look at the quality of his fuel rails to see he knows what he's doing.

http://www.wolfkatz.com/DreaweaverImage ... jector.jpg

not what I would call a bodge job, I can vouch for the quality as I am running a set and work perfectly. I havent seen anyone else who has 850's in stock for anywhere near that price.

paul
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

hornsey wrote:not what I would call a bodge job, I can vouch for the quality as I am running a set and work perfectly. I havent seen anyone else who has 850's in stock for anywhere near that price.

Yeah, I agree with Paul here. That doesn't look like a bodged job to me. After all, I've had to have collars made for my top feeds to fit the Group A fuel rail that's supposed to be designed for top feeds in the first place.

If they've done their work properly, that should be fine, and give a cost effective alternative to those not wishing to spend the kinda bucks that I have on my own fueling system.
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

I'm afraid Tim that you seem all to ready to slate other companies products/services! This is not the first time i've known you to do so either. Fensport & Rogue Systems have also been at the receiving end of your of your bad comments.

You come across way too aggressive in your sales techniques. You need to relax a little and realise that their is room for everyone here. As it is I find your conduct to be very un-professional.

Please try not to take offence from the above mate, these are just my observations

Mikejc
paul_h

Post by paul_h »

Mikejc wrote:I'm afraid Tim that you seem all to ready to slate other companies products/services! This is not the first time i've known you to do so either. Fensport & Rogue Systems have also been at the receiving end of your of your bad comments.

Mikejc

=D>
nutter

Post by nutter »

Wolfkatz rail is the dogs nuts! I have one and the quality is amazing. Nearly didn't put it on the car, thought about hanging in the bedroom.
As for wolfkatz prices, If you add customs charges to that then Mike's prices look alot more favorable :wink:

Return to “Modifications”