Me again one more question please!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Fonzy

Me again one more question please!

Post by Fonzy »

when i removed the head a few weeks back i notice that each piston (JE 87mm) was able to move a little (lateral) within each cylinder, having spoken to a bog standard mechanic, he said yeah they move a little untill they bed in, is this correct, cos i was expecting an almost exact fit and no movement whatsoever!

Anwsers on a £20 note to James Darby At 2.2 hybrid nightmare rebuild number 22 gu2 4fg :P
Bry

Re: Me again one more question please!

Post by Bry »

I thought that Forgies expanded when they're hot,thus when there cold they contract and create a little movement within the cylinders,which results in a rather rattly engine when cold.I could be wrong though :?:
Watch out OZ here I come !!
Fonzy

Post by Fonzy »

yeah well it could be that, i also noticed that my pistons a 87 mm when most 2.2 builds are done with 87.5
JJ

Post by JJ »

How do you know the pistons are 87mm ???

The measure is done at the skirt of the pistons... basically the lower half is wider than the top half, so if you've whipped out a micrometer and measured it that way - at the top, then its measured at the wrong point :shock:

Just a thought, now go drop your engine again, take off the timing belt, remove the head and make sure you measure it properly this time !!

:)

Oh ! have you got another picture of your head and block... wanna have a look at that head again !! :)
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
Fonzy

Post by Fonzy »

The list of mods and spec details were mailed to me by the chap in the states who put the engine together (before i took it apart again) in that list it says they are 87mm. thats all i have. what do you think to the little bit of lateral movement though?

Pics yeah hundreds buddy, but each time i try to put anything on the site, i get a little mesage flash up on the screen saying (e%&ck O$$ ch@@sy pe@cker no *ics allowed here) :lol:

will mail you some pics tonight JJ!

Having disscussed this further i belive this to be normal as when the block is filled with oil which then sits betwwen the rings im sure the small amount of play will no longer be there! :P

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”