www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
[Mk2] [Turbo] Rev 3 static compression test results?

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo -> Mechanical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yokomomr4bx
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 4

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: [Mk2] [Turbo] Rev 3 static compression test results? Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Hi guys,

Been having some long term niggling troubles with my rev3 and wanted to rule out compression issues. Ran a static test on all 4 this morning (stone cold engine) and came up with 120+/- 1 or 2 psi across all 4. Quick google search would have me believe that this is on the low side of normal and touching on a possible cam belt slip?

Wondered what opinions we had on these numbers? I will run a hot test after a little run this afternoon and see if the pressure are any different, but I can't see them rising that dramatically?

Thanks, Ed
Gazza_DJ
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 12

1997 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev4

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Do a hot test with the throttle wide open. You may be surprised.
yokomomr4bx
Premium Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Thatís the kind of confidence I need [Wink]

Just checked the timing and general belt condition as it has been about 40,000km since I did it, still spot on.

Iíll see what the hot test returns, good shout on the throttle, forgot that!!
yokomomr4bx
Premium Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

So with hot engine and open throttle I've got 150psi across all cylinders, all good?
Gazza_DJ
Premium Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

If its oretty even across all four then 150psi would not concern me. Mine makes around 180 but there's so many variables on the day. As long as its close across all of them and it's not silly low, you're good.
yokomomr4bx
Premium Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Thanks Gazza. They were all within a few psi of each other. I may run a leak down over the coming weeks to completely settle my thoughts on this!
Gazza_DJ
Premium Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Yep, that's what really matters. You can pretty quickly confirm the mechanical timing is correct by taking the top cover off and turning the engine to TDC and check against the marks on the cover for your own piece of mind.

What is the issue you're having?
yokomomr4bx
Premium Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=193669

Still facing the extremely intermittent (like, every 3 weeks intermittent) cutting out when I move off from a standstill after a prolonged period of sustained RPM, approx 20 miles at roughly the same RPM.

And yet I did a 180 mile trip mid week with this kind of driving and it had no problem... go figure!

Definitely the toughest diagnostic issue I've ever encountered in and out of work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo -> Mechanical All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: