Blowtorching the caliper bracket/carrier

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr2_maverick

Blowtorching the caliper bracket/carrier

Post by mr2_maverick »

The pin on one of my caliper bracket/carrier is stuck solid. I intend to use fire and hammer to get it out. I will not be re-using any rubber parts or the pins. Do you see anything wrong with using a blowtorch on the caliper carrier/bracket? Can it be damaged? Cheers.
SonicSW20

Re: Blowtorching the caliper bracket/carrier

Post by SonicSW20 »

Shouldn't be a problem, but if it's that stuck then chances are the slider pin is corroded past the point of being of any use.
mr2_maverick

Post by mr2_maverick »

[quote="Gazza_DJ"]Shouldn't be a problem, but if it's that stuck then chances are the slider pin is corroded past the point of being of any use.[/quote]

I am not going to re-use the pin and instead get a new set. Do you think the carrier/bracket hole might be corroded beyond use too? I guess I'll find out once I open it. Ideally I'd like to re-use the metal carrier/bracket as the other option is getting a used one which could be equally corroded.
simpson_eh

Post by simpson_eh »

Exactly what I did but took the whole carrier off and did it on the floor
If you see an MR2 with a raised engine cover, the bottom line is it's probably faster than your car.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”