Buying a rev 2 turbo

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

AdsMr23sge

Buying a rev 2 turbo

Post by AdsMr23sge »

Hi I'm having a look at buying a mr2 turbo rev2 it has good history and I've had a good look underneath and there is no rust has all been treated I've already had a look over it engine started straight away warmed up as normal and no nasty sounds from what I could tell

However the car has been standing for a couple of years which I was a bit worried about any advice on this? Also the engine bay wasn't a pretty sight looked like it needed a good clean and paint

Overall it looks a pretty decent car just any advice would be great

Cheers
markstevieandmads

Re: Buying a rev 2 turbo

Post by markstevieandmads »

A car of that age will always need some work unless there is receipts to prove its already done.
Not entirely sure what your question is? Is it worth the money you are paying?
What needs to be done?

All questions that need more info first before answering.
AdsMr23sge

Post by AdsMr23sge »

My question is should I be worried about anything as the car has been standing for a good two years ? It's just had a mot , I'm more worried about the engine if it hasn't been driven for a couple of years would this effect it in any way ?
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

Give it a service if your not sure. As long as it runs ok then i wouldnt worry.

Its always possible hoses could have deterioated but then these cars are old and will probably start to go anyway.
AdsMr23sge

Post by AdsMr23sge »

Ok mate I'll do all the servicing bits anyway

It's a totally standard car so I'm sure there will be a few issues here and there but having a good look over it all seems well it's only got 73,000 km on it

Also tuning wise having had a read up the revision 2s seem ok for 260bhp with some supporting mods?
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

I'd say to factor in costs for a timing belt and possible problems with the brakes sticking.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”