[Mk2] [Turbo] How to set static timing?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

msherry21

[Mk2] [Turbo] How to set static timing?

Post by msherry21 »

Hi all,

Recently I replaced my distributor as it had cracked and the timing was way out!

How do I make sure the static timing is set properly before setting the ignition timing?

Cheers, Michael.
Http://www.planet-wax.com, Mobile Car Valet & Car Detailing based in Glasgow.
mr2magic

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] How to set static timing?

Post by mr2magic »

Static timing is set primarily using the crank and cam pulleys. On the outside most lip of the crank pulley there is a vertical slot. This is the #1 cylinder tdc mark. This should be lined up with the '0' line on the lower timing belt cover. Now to make sure you're at tdc on the compression stroke you need to line up the timing marks on the cam pulleys. Each pulley has spokes and on one of these spokes there is a small dimple. The dimple needs to line up with a vertical indent on the cam pulley backing plate. If all these marks line up at the same time your static timing is set correctly (assuming the cam pulleys haven't been rotated!)

If you think the cam pulleys may have been rotated, you need to remove the valve cover and check the alignment of the cam. To do this the cams have a match mark at the pulley end which lines up with a corresponding mark in the bearing cap on the head. Pics of all marks attached:

Crank match mark

Cam pulley match mark

Cam match mark
msherry21

Post by msherry21 »

Thanks! That’s exactly what I needed. I’ll check all those and then set my ignition timing.

Thanks again, Michael.
Http://www.planet-wax.com, Mobile Car Valet & Car Detailing based in Glasgow.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

A fellow member found out recently that later engines may not have the matchmarks on the cam itself, just FYI. His is a 1996/1997.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

What an excellent, helpful post! First time I've truly understood it, thank you.

Return to “Mechanical”