www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
[Mk2] [Turbo] How to set static timing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo -> Mechanical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
msherry21

Feedback Score: 0

1994 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: [Mk2] [Turbo] How to set static timing? Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Hi all,

Recently I replaced my distributor as it had cracked and the timing was way out!

How do I make sure the static timing is set properly before setting the ignition timing?

Cheers, Michael.
mr2magic

Feedback Score: 1

1991 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Static timing is set primarily using the crank and cam pulleys. On the outside most lip of the crank pulley there is a vertical slot. This is the #1 cylinder tdc mark. This should be lined up with the '0' line on the lower timing belt cover. Now to make sure you're at tdc on the compression stroke you need to line up the timing marks on the cam pulleys. Each pulley has spokes and on one of these spokes there is a small dimple. The dimple needs to line up with a vertical indent on the cam pulley backing plate. If all these marks line up at the same time your static timing is set correctly (assuming the cam pulleys haven't been rotated!)

If you think the cam pulleys may have been rotated, you need to remove the valve cover and check the alignment of the cam. To do this the cams have a match mark at the pulley end which lines up with a corresponding mark in the bearing cap on the head. Pics of all marks attached:

Crank match mark

Cam pulley match mark

Cam match mark
msherry21

Feedback Score: 0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Thanks! Thatís exactly what I needed. Iíll check all those and then set my ignition timing.

Thanks again, Michael.
Gazza_DJ
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 12

1997 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev4

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

A fellow member found out recently that later engines may not have the matchmarks on the cam itself, just FYI. His is a 1996/1997.
androo007

Feedback Score: 10

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

What an excellent, helpful post! First time I've truly understood it, thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo -> Mechanical All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: