Diagnosis video - poorly turbo

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

CalMac

Diagnosis video - poorly turbo

Post by CalMac »

Hey all.

Seems that my MR2 is a bit dead (Rev 3 turbo).

A bit of background: 23rd Feb I topped up the engine oil with my usual Millers 10w40 Fully Synth - perhaps 1/4 of a litre. I then drove the car about 50 miles faultlessly, spirited driving. Turbo timer had about 2 minutes on the clock when I got home so that seemed normal.

Next evening I had to run to the shops so took the MR2. Noticed a weird noise in place of the usual turbo sound - more of a wind-howling/whistle - accompanied by lack of boost/stuttering. Sounded a bit like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGhmm2RGUEI

I figured that maybe an IC pipe had come loose or vacuum line had split, so investigated the next day - took all the IC pipework off and re-connected, looked for splits etc. but didn't solve the issue.

So I left it until two nights ago, where I had a brainwave and decided to check if I had any leaks in the vac lines around the BOV (I've been running with BOV blanked off for about a year). Fiddled around and then revved it a bit, from cold because I was on my way out and was hoping that I'd quickly fixed the issue. It now sounds like this.. And there's a little bit of water/oil emulsified inside the oil cap now :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL-32DVPU6g

I've already got two project cars in pieces and really cba with this now, but if I take the air intake hose off the turbo I'm expecting to see a fair bit of shaft play/broken fins. I don't know if pieces of turbo could've ended up in my engine somehow? I didn't hear anything dramatic happen to be honest. Maybe if the turbo has blown some water has mixed with the engine oil and changed the viscosity, which is causing the knocking? NB. the knocking settles right down/almost inaudible if I let the car idle for a couple of minutes without revving.

If anyone knows what's likely to be the issue please fire ideas at me! :thumleft:
androo007

Re: Diagnosis video - poorly turbo

Post by androo007 »

You need to get a compression check on that pronto. Sounds like big ends to me.....
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Signs of water inside the cap isn't conclusive of anything, especially this time of year - short journeys or running it without the engine getting up to temp can cause a little bit of this due to condensation.

I'm pretty sure you'd have to have a catastrophic failure of the CHRA for the turbo to mix oil and water so that seems very unlikely. However if the turbo did fail it may have deposited bits of metal into your engine which will cause problems.

Is that 2nd video of your car?
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Yeah that's his car Gazza
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

engine needs a rebuild.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Oof, yeah, that needs stripping apart. :(
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Wonderful :lol: :clap:

Thanks for the confirmation chaps, I'll have to just leave her for a few months until I can muster up the motivation to do something about it :roll: Bloody cars..

I know I'll want to go forged, bigger turbo etc. so time to start saving!
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

I have a 3S crank available should you need it if yours has been scored beyond saving :thumleft: hopefully it's fine, but a dead bearing can make a right mess of a journal very quickly.
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Thanks Gazza - I'll be in touch once I know more!

Are 3SGE and 3SGTE cranks the same? I had a perfect 3SGE crank I sold a couple of years back for a steal, I'll be kicking myself if I could've used it now ](*,)
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Yep, exactly the same.
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Little update..

Had my mechanic over this morning to hear his thoughts, and the knocking has stopped \:D/

BUT some bits of what I presume are the exhaust side turbine blades came out of the exhaust.

And I have zero boosty noises when revving it up.

First video is just start up and revving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIgL83m__rY

Second shows inlet side of the turbo - minimal shaft play and none of the blades touching the housing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2CSXQ9ycFU

What I can't figure out is what was causing the horrible knocking - I wouldn't presume that a blown turbo could make those noises? And why have they now stopped :-k
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

That knocking really didn't sound like turbo.

You could get one of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof-5 ... 2272324733

Remove the o2 sensor, and use it to have a look at the turbine side. Though tbh if there's bits come out of the exhaust that would only be confirming what you pretty much already know. Might just be best to take the downpipe off and have a look.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Wow I do hope it's just the turbo Cal, that didnt sound good at all.

Keep up updated.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”