MK2 getting stuck on snowy incline starts

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr2_maverick

MK2 getting stuck on snowy incline starts

Post by mr2_maverick »

Hi
Last edited by mr2_maverick on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
shinny

Re: MK2 getting stuck on snowy incline starts

Post by shinny »

What tyres are you running? Unless you're running a proper winter or all season tyre then you're fighting a losing battle on snow and ice anyway. The vast majority of tyres sold in the UK are summer tyres and then people wonder why they have big issues on the couple of days a year when it does snow.
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

shinny wrote:What tyres are you running? Unless you're running a proper winter or all season tyre then you're fighting a losing battle on snow and ice anyway. The vast majority of tyres sold in the UK are summer tyres and then people wonder why they have big issues on the couple of days a year when it does snow.

With tyre choice being so poor for sw factory rears i'd be surprised if there actually was a winter tyre in the spec size. I took mine for a drive the other day on a non gritted road, it was pretty sketchy even at low speeds. I'm keeping mine parked up and using the mrs' passat until it warms up a little.
mr2_maverick

Post by mr2_maverick »

[quote="aussieGT"][quote="shinny"]What tyres are you running? Unless you're running a proper winter or all season tyre then you're fighting a losing battle on snow and ice anyway. The vast majority of tyres sold in the UK are summer tyres and then people wonder why they have big issues on the couple of days a year when it does snow.[/quote]

With tyre choice being so poor for sw factory rears i'd be surprised if there actually was a winter tyre in the spec size. I took mine for a drive the other day on a non gritted road, it was pretty sketchy even at low speeds. I'm keeping mine parked up and using the mrs' passat until it warms up a little.[/quote]

I have summer tyres on and this is the reason why. There aren't many options on the market.
Last edited by mr2_maverick on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

ha, I've got AD08R's on mine and it's completely pointless trying to drive it in snow. Feels like the front and back end are trying to go in different directions. Came off traffic calming bump (which i couldnt see because of the snow and parked cars) and went completely sideways but managed to not hit anything and got it back straight and narrow. Yeah, tyres can make a huge difference to these cars :mrgreen:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

aussieGT wrote:
shinny wrote:What tyres are you running? Unless you're running a proper winter or all season tyre then you're fighting a losing battle on snow and ice anyway. The vast majority of tyres sold in the UK are summer tyres and then people wonder why they have big issues on the couple of days a year when it does snow.

With tyre choice being so poor for sw factory rears i'd be surprised if there actually was a winter tyre in the spec size. I took mine for a drive the other day on a non gritted road, it was pretty sketchy even at low speeds. I'm keeping mine parked up and using the mrs' passat until it warms up a little.

Yup, if you want winters on stock wheels you'll have to drop down to 205/55R15 on the rear.
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

The mr2 is great in the snow, I loved driving in it in my old rev5 mica but id just put it in the garage and drive something else, they're old cars, salt and moisture will just rust it out.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

Loved the last week of snow driving, the '2 was great even in 10cm of snow on the road. Front tyres were fine, much like winter tyres, a pair of rainsport 3.
Rears are T1Rs and I don't rate them in the wet at all, in the snow they were not as bad as expected. Losing it on a straight dual carriageway, that needed some fast inputs!! Spinning up with anything more than 1/4 throttle at any point. But they did the trick and no major drams really. Made for a few days of sideways fun in the snow :D

Hill starts are 2nd gear with as little throttle as you can manage, ease out the handbrake as it starts to move. But if it's icy then this isn't going to work. Needs a run-up, best trick is to think ahead and try to keep rolling but not always possible though ..
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

pbmr2 wrote:Loved the last week of snow driving, the '2 was great even in 10cm of snow on the road.

Losing it on a straight dual carriageway, that needed some fast inputs!! Spinning up with anything more than 1/4 throttle at any point. But they did the trick and no major drams really. Made for a few days of sideways fun in the snow :D

Your idea of an enjoyable drive is quite different to mine! :shock:

I sort of would hate the idea of losing it with all sorts of vehicles driving in the opposite direction.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

No one else was on the road when I went out :)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”