MK2 MR2 V6 Buyers Guide.

V6? V8? TDI? Discussion and technical advice for engine transplants inc. 5SFE & 5SGTE builds. Not for N/A to Turbo, or Rev1/2 to 3+ conversions.
Project and build threads welcome.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Madabout

MK2 MR2 V6 Buyers Guide.

Post by Madabout »

Evening All,

I am looking to buy a MR2 V6 as I know Woodsports are pretty booked up right now and seen a few for sale.

I was wondering if there is a buyers guide for what a prospective buyer should look for one that's done on here or elsewhere on the web as I have struggled to find anything. Questions I have -

1. Ease of maintenance and spares for the 1MZ V6 once fitted in a MR2.
2. Problem areas to look out for or ask about.
3. How free revving is the engine? What is the max revs given it is a large 3 litre engine?
4. Will the UK rev5 gearbox cope with the 3 litre engine or is the turbo gearbox recommended?
6. Any off the shelf performance modifications available?
7. General secondhand availability of Camry 1MZ engine spares, etc. - what is it like?
8. Anything I have missed and should look for?

I have 2x MR2s at the moment. A REV3 and REV4 JDM Turbos. I also have a MK1 MX5 running ITBs and having been in a V6 it is the sound that has captured my interest.

Thanks in advance for your help.
MRV6

Re: MK2 MR2 V6 Buyers Guide.

Post by MRV6 »

Madabout wrote:Evening All,

I am looking to buy a MR2 V6 as I know Woodsports are pretty booked up right now and seen a few for sale.

I was wondering if there is a buyers guide for what a prospective buyer should look for one that's done on here or elsewhere on the web as I have struggled to find anything. Questions I have -

1. Ease of maintenance and spares for the 1MZ V6 once fitted in a MR2.
2. Problem areas to look out for or ask about.
3. How free revving is the engine? What is the max revs given it is a large 3 litre engine?
4. Will the UK rev5 gearbox cope with the 3 litre engine or is the turbo gearbox recommended?
6. Any off the shelf performance modifications available?
7. General secondhand availability of Camry 1MZ engine spares, etc. - what is it like?
8. Anything I have missed and should look for?

I have 2x MR2s at the moment. A REV3 and REV4 JDM Turbos. I also have a MK1 MX5 running ITBs and having been in a V6 it is the sound that has captured my interest.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi mate, depending on what you budget is? The 1mz vvti is a decent choice of engine. You can source them from a Lexus RX300 and will happily mate up with a n/a gearbox. It's a pretty lazy engine topping out at around 5800 rpm. TRD did a supercharger for the 1mz but they are a rare as hens teeth on a hen with no teeth.

Supercharged 1Mz-Fe

Where abouts in the country are you? I can take you out in mine if your local to County Durham.
Madabout

Re: MK2 MR2 V6 Buyers Guide.

Post by Madabout »

Thanks for the reply and info.

I've bought one that I get today. A 1MZ V6 MK2. Enthusiast owned built by Woodsports in 2014.

Looking forward to getting it.

Return to “MR2 Engine Swaps”