Head gasket issue?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Bear87

Head gasket issue?

Post by Bear87 »

Hi guys.
So as with my usual luck when it rains it pours!
This is an issue with my rev 1 na glimited. I have the mot in a week and I know it has a few issues to sort and it still needs a clutch. I have just saved enough penny's to get the work done when....
Mayo under the oil cap ( I always warm the car up before driving so convinced myself its condensation)
Now I have a bit of oil in the coolant. ](*,)
So with a severe lack of funds currently is it worth me trying seal steel?
It's only a daily driver and its never going to be a show car and although I look after it I don't want to stick loads of money into it when I have a rev2 tubby in the garage that needs the money. It doesn't over heat or blow smoke im just trying to catch it early if it makes any difference.

Thanks

Brad[/i]
yokomomr4bx

Re: Head gasket issue?

Post by yokomomr4bx »

Hey bud,

I've got an old 96 Mercedes C180 that's had a head gasket leak for the past 5/6 years now and I treat it with a very occasional (only done it twice in that time) sachet of what looks like metallic porridge oats, can't remember the name of it. It's run faultlessly in that time and it's got to the point where disturbing it will cause more harm than good, some things are best left in a state of monitored and aware brokenness...if that makes any sense!

Come to think of it I think the last time I treated it I used a little blue bottle of K-Seal. I would occasionally chuck something like that in it, if it's not too bad theres a good chance it'll keep it at bay. It won't fail the MOT for anything clutch related, so I would try and eek it along on the bare minimum, maybe treat it to the clutch in a few months ;)

Ed
Bear87

Post by Bear87 »

Thanks Ed,
I know it wouldn't fail its mot i just didn't want to spend the cash if I would have to break the car a week later lol. I'm glad you have had a good experience with k-seal and the "oats" it makes me think it's worth a try, worst case I can just change the lump when I'm in a better position. Been putting the clutch off for a while hopefully it will keep going until I'm sure the gasket had sealed. Makes perfect sense monitoring a state of brokenness :thumleft:

Thanks for the advice :thumleft:

Brad
MartinF

Post by MartinF »

Don't forget if you put that crap in your engine it will also travel through the radiator and the heater matrix and ideally those should be swapped as well when you come to do the job properly.
Blue Lexus RCF
Black MKIV UK Manual Supra
Green MK2 MR2 Tin Top
Bear87

Post by Bear87 »

Thanks Martin I know its a far from ideal situation. In all honestly if it gets me though untill my tubby is ready I will be happy just to break the car for anything that is worth keeping. Like I said the car will never be a stunning vehicle that somebody cant live without but it's just too good to break it currently

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”