gear change slighlty off

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

simpson_eh

gear change slighlty off

Post by simpson_eh »

HI all

quick question when changing 1st to 2nd gear is fine but going to third it seams to be slightly off to the right but always goes in, have just changed the cable(left hand one that slots on not screws in) but still doing it

any ideas?? the bushes are good

cheers all
If you see an MR2 with a raised engine cover, the bottom line is it's probably faster than your car.
abovetherim

Re: gear change slighlty off

Post by abovetherim »

I assume you have looked closely at the brass middle of the bushes as these do wear and go ovoid. They should fit snugly on the shaft of the linkage of the gearbox. The bearing upgrade is well worth doing here.

If as you say the bushes in the cables are good then next thing to look at is the brass cube under one of the levers of the linkage on the gearbox. Again these can wear significantly causing slop in the linkage and resulting in an imprecise shift. The fix is to rotate the bush 90 deg to run on the other 2 sides.

Sorry I don't have pics but i'm sure a quick google search will bring up some.
simpson_eh

Post by simpson_eh »

i checked the bush even moved it over from the other cable its the standard bush and nice tight fit, il have a look at the cube as i have heard about that before
If you see an MR2 with a raised engine cover, the bottom line is it's probably faster than your car.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

the turbo and NA cables are different, so I assume you replaced the correct cable.

the brass cube in between the 2 levers on the gearbox, as mentioned above, wear a lot. simply take the upper arm off and rotate the cube so the 2 unworn sides are now the touching side. refit the upper lever.

the stock bushes might look ok but they go very soft over time. BRD Brooks racing development on FB, do some lovely poly bush replacements. cheap too.
simpson_eh

Post by simpson_eh »

ive looked but cant fathom how to get to the cube lol sounds stupid i know, can it be done from the top?? ive googled and googled it but due to photo*uckit changing their policy everything i look at is missing :(
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

The upper arm has 2 bolts that hold it to the top of the gearbox. just undo them and the upper arm lifts off.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”