Ordered new kyb excelg shock absorbers inserts. Do I put oil in strut?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

[email protected]

Ordered new kyb excelg shock absorbers inserts. Do I put oil in strut?

Post by [email protected] »

When I pulled the original shock out of the strut it had oil in it. I assume this is normal being an oil shock absorber. There are openings at the bottom of the shock that allows oil to travel through. The strut was not full of oil though... should it of been? It was about a quarter full if that, the operation up and down was not smooth at all.

Also the new KYB shocks being gas inserts should I pour oil around it in the strut housing and then tighten the gland nut? Or do I just slide it straight it with nothing around it? Can't find any information on this.
pbmr2

Re: Ordered new kyb excelg shock absorbers inserts. Do I put oil in strut?

Post by pbmr2 »

yeah you do put a small amount of oil in the outer before inserting the new insert. It helps with heat transfer to the outer body, reduces noise and prevents water buildup that could rust the area should and water find it's way into the top of the shock.

I put a small amount in and fitted the insert, then topped it up just before fitting the gland nut.
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

Any particular kind of oil or just anything?

also i understand you put the oil in the outer, but are you saying you fill it to the top with oil?
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

started with a blob in the bottom, then once the insert was in filled to about 5cm below the thread for the gland nut.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

When I put Koni inserts into the original strut on an Astra GTE it was advised to put anti freeze into the strut before the insert to help with cooling.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”