[Mk2] [Generic] Any tips to stop doors freezing shut

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Bear87

[Mk2] [Generic] Any tips to stop doors freezing shut

Post by Bear87 »

As above really. Every time it drops below 0 degrees c the doors freeze shut. I've had it on just about every mr2 I have had so I'm sure I'm not alone!

Thanks

Brad
Pauln

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Any tips to stop doors freezing shut

Post by Pauln »

I've had locks sometimes freeze if the temperature really drops, but I've never known the doors themselves freeze.

But given it's likely to be water on the seals that's freezing and causing the problem, I'd suggest giving the seals a good clean to remove any water retaining debris.

You could then try treating the seals with silicon spray. That should make it harder for water to build up, and also plump up the seals making it harder for water to get in in the first place.

Worth a try.

Paul
Bear87

Post by Bear87 »

Thanks Paul. I had cleaned the seals but the issue remained. I don't know if it's just where I live that i get this artic frost at the end of the road but the last 4 mr2's all did it. Some hard top some t-top.

Silicone spray may be the answer I was looking for. I was worried about putting something on the seals that may damage them.

I will give that a go tonight!

:thumleft:
Essex2Visuvesi

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

Bear87 wrote:Thanks Paul. I had cleaned the seals but the issue remained. I don't know if it's just where I live that i get this artic frost at the end of the road but the last 4 mr2's all did it. Some hard top some t-top.

Silicone spray may be the answer I was looking for. I was worried about putting something on the seals that may damage them.

Mr Sheen with Silicone if you have it works wonders.... We use it over in Finland to stop car doors from sticking in winter.
Spray liberally onto a cloth and work into the rubbers
Works great on the rubber seals of you UPVC windows and doors too
Bear87

Post by Bear87 »

Essex2Visuvesi wrote:
Bear87 wrote:Thanks Paul. I had cleaned the seals but the issue remained. I don't know if it's just where I live that i get this artic frost at the end of the road but the last 4 mr2's all did it. Some hard top some t-top.

Mr Sheen with Silicone if you have it works wonders.... We use it over in Finland to stop car doors from sticking in winter.
Spray liberally onto a cloth and work into the rubbers
Works great on the rubber seals of you UPVC windows and doors too

Top tip! Thanks fella. Would a spray silicone lubricant work too? I have a ton of that.
How is that little mk3 coming along?
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

Anything with silicon in it should be fine. If it works in Finland it should work anywhere :D

I've used Halfords Silicon lubricant on my door and tbar seals for years, to try and help keep the rain out and stave off having to buy new seals.

I've also used groundnut oil without any problem.

Paul
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

Yes silicone spray works well and dries to the touch so no rubbing off on clothes if you rub past and doesn't collect dirt like oils would. Also known as mould release spray. Also good for locks to prevent freezing and dirt build up.
Bear87

Post by Bear87 »

Thanks fellas. Got them all done yesterday and can already see an improvement this morning. Typically now it's not been cold enough to test the doors! ](*,)
androo007

Post by androo007 »

This thread appears in the for sale section? Weird.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

silicon spray works great for sure, I also have a silicon bladed kitchen spatula for prizing open the doors when they're frozen solid. Another tip, make sure the door hinges are well lubed as I had then sticking and that didn't make it easy getting into the damned thing!
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

I also run a plastic spreader between the bottom of the window and the door seal to clean it off a little then coat the bottom of the window with loads of silicon spray and wind it down and up area times and repeat to stop the window freezing stuck to the seal.
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Rubber rejuvenator around all the door and window seals has worked for me.

Do the frunk and boot seals at the same time.
Also tbars seals for cars that have them.
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

deer tallow is commonly used over here in germany.
Bear87

Post by Bear87 »

Thanks for all the advice guys.
So a little time on and its a million times better. No frozen doors and leaks are almost a thing of the past! The seals look much more healthy and plump!
I had heard of dear tallow in the past but it wasn't something I even know how to start looking for!

Thanks Again!

Return to “Mechanical”