www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Wandering MR2...

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK3 2000-2007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SebW20

Feedback Score: 0

1998 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev5

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Wandering MR2... Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Hi everyone, been a MK2 owner for a while now and iíve recently taken the leap into MK3 ownership...

Generally my MK3 drives and feels great but sometimes I can definitely feel some lateral movement while driving in a straight line and with the steering wheel straight, it feels almost like driving on a very windy day (it wasnít windy!). I think possibly it could be occurring in conjunction with changes in throttle application as it seems pronounced if you are flooring it and then go to change gear but I could be wrong.

Anyone else had anything similar? Got any ideas what it could be?
mrhappy62

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

steering column uj common fault.
greglebon

Feedback Score: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

As above..and also, if you have aftermarket alloys / low-profile tyres, you can get that effect from tramlining, due to the tyre stagger front /rear....

Check tyre pressures, too....

The UJ in the frunk is open to the elements, especially if you have removed the plastic undertrays.

They can get really sh*tty looking...but they often look worse than they actually are: if you don't get steering wheel play when stationary / engine off, then it should be ok.

Best way is to get someone to move the steering wheel while you hold the lower column under the UJ: If they're moving the wheel 2+cm left to right and you're not "feeling it", then there's a problem....! [Wink]
SebW20

1998 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev5

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Thanks for the replies. The UJ looks to be in pretty good condition but I will give it a proper check. It feels like the movement is in the rear of the car but there is nothing obvious to be seen. Iíll try and get the car up on a four poster to give it a thorough checking over... it seems to have gotten worse so itís now off the road until the source of the problem is found and rectified.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK3 2000-2007 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: