[Mk2] [Turbo] CT26 Hybrid vs 'CT20b'

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SonicSW20

[Mk2] [Turbo] CT26 Hybrid vs 'CT20b'

Post by SonicSW20 »

Need to confirm with a couple of tests but I suspect my current CT26 'stage 1' hybrid is starting to leak oil.

My options:

1. Get the current turbo rebuilt
2. Upgrade to another CT26 based hybrid
3. Get a stock spec CT20b and rebuild so as new internally

Engine is a Gen3, internals are stock, bolt on mods like upgraded SMIC, 3inch decat downpipe, Blitz intake, Greddy EBC etc.

Not looking for huge power potential here due to the limitations of stock internals, fuelling, and management. Not looking to upgrade here either. Just need a decent, reliable, stock fitment turbo.

Out of the three listed above, what would be the best option? If it's none of the above, state your reasoning below :)

Any recommendations on a rebuild company in the UK? Not sure if this is one I'd tackle myself.
Bear87

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] CT26 Hybrid vs 'CT20b'

Post by Bear87 »

Hi ya gazza

Im running a hybrid ct26 not sure on the spec (I think stage 2) as was done by previous owner but it spools at around 3200rpm holds boost to redline at 15psi and is a huge improvement on the ct20 that was on my rev 3.
I did a lot of research on the ebay kinugawa and mamba units with mixed reviews. Main issues seemed to be internals as aposed to the casing or actuator. The risk of it exploding into my engine put me off.
Geoff page racing did my turbo I think they are in maldon so not too far from you. I rebuilt my ct20 and it wasn't too bad to do (cheaper) but with the hybrid options I worry about the balancing and the risk if i got it wrong!

Don't know of any of that helps you :thumleft:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Ah cool, good to know there's a local firm who could do it :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

I had a hybrid CT26 on my rev 3 turbo.

It was laggy and was good for 22 psi, but as soon a it came on boost, I hit fuel cut. Running stock rev 3 ecu.

I sold it and got an old CT20b refurbished by Universal Turbos. The CT20b (to me) feels much better than the CT26 hybrid.

Ideally needs supporting mods inc stand alone ecu to run a hybrid CT26.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

The one I have isn't a mad one - compressor isn't huge, there's still a bit of taper left on the inlet. Seems pretty happy holding 14-15psi and doesn't spike with the Greddy EBC controlling things.

I have potentially sourced a good used CT20b for a reasonable price though.
craig

Post by craig »

Gazza_DJ wrote:The one I have isn't a mad one - compressor isn't huge, there's still a bit of taper left on the inlet. Seems pretty happy holding 14-15psi and doesn't spike with the Greddy EBC controlling things.

I have potentially sourced a good used CT20b for a reasonable price though.

Yeah, mine had the biggest wheel that would fit in the housing.

The CT20b may be old in terms of turbo technology, but I still think it's a great turbo, especially on a stock engine.

Toyota got it spot on. :thumleft:
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

craig wrote:

Id disagree with this some what. It really depends whats been done to the hybrid.
I was running jimgts old hybrid ct26 and its got the exact same characteristics as my old standard ct26 but it holds boost to the redline.

Its my ideal turbo as i like the quicker spool up of the ct26 to the ct20b. This hybrid is like the best of both oem turbos.

And theres no need to run a standalone with it either.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Yup, you can get some like this:

Mine is nowhere near that size.
craig

Post by craig »

markstevieandmads wrote:
craig wrote:

Id disagree with this some what. It really depends whats been done to the hybrid.
I was running jimgts old hybrid ct26 and its got the exact same characteristics as my old standard ct26 but it holds boost to the redline.

Its my ideal turbo as i like the quicker spool up of the ct26 to the ct20b. This hybrid is like the best of both oem turbos.

And theres no need to run a standalone with it either.

Yeah, fair comment. That statement applied to my CT26 hybrid, and the experience I had with it, not a "All hybrids need a standalone".
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

ct20b is the best stock fuel system turbo, bar none.

JimGTS ran what 12.5 @ 114mph with bolt ons and the stock ct20b on his gen3?

I've run 12.7 @ 109mph with a ct20b, downpipes and exhaust on a gen2.

The only one faster than us on these boards was old Mark Edwards who spent moonbeams on his car and used a hybrid ct26 at 1.5 bar! and still wouldn't match Jim's trap speed.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

I've just bought a mamba GT3582r and they are copies of Garrett, almost exact. The quality of their stuff is excellent, and I've previously had a housing. I've not seen much content, but definately not exploding turbos.

They seem excellent value for money. We'll see.....

Return to “Modifications”