www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
MK2 MR2 - Loud knocking noise from rear at low speed, rubbing at high speed :-(

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mk2too

Feedback Score: 3

1993 Toyota MR2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: MK2 MR2 - Loud knocking noise from rear at low speed, rubbing at high speed :-( Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Hello,

Hoping someone can shed some light, I have an MK2 MR2 that has just developed a knocking noise from the rear. I'll do my best to explain...

When going slowly you can hear a knock associated with the turn of the wheels, i.e knock, pause, knock etc

When you speed the knock turns into a rubbing noise (I first thought the suspension had collapsed and it was the tyre rubbing)

It is not affected by the brakes or by turning left or right.

It definately sounds like its coming from the drivers rear.

I've had a quick look and the suspension still seems solid and doesn't look lower one side to the other, the tyre has no gouges in it and i can't see anything amiss but it is pitch black and I'm in my work trousers!

Could anyone shed any light on this?

Any help was much appreciated!
androo007
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9

1994 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Have you checked the droplinks for play? They are the most common throw-away item.
mk2too

Feedback Score: 3

1993 Toyota MR2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I haven't got the wheels off yet but the side that i think it is (drivers) had a brand new drop link prior to my ownership [Eh?]

I did think those at start but they both look (from what i can see) ok

Could they ARB bushes be knackered and causing the bar to rub/knock?

its odd that the loud noise goes and a rubbing noise appears so it must be something that changes with speed.

Could it be a driveshaft :-/
androo007
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9

1994 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Could be if the CV boot has been split and run dry... could be a lot of things really.

you'll see pretty quickly by getting the wheel off. It might be the droplink just needs nipping up if the previous owner didnt do them up tight.
gavsdavs
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2

1991 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Maybe lower ball joint. You only hear it when the wheel drops away from the car, not on compression...
abovetherim

Feedback Score: 5

1991 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

A rhythmic knocking is unlikely to be a static component like the suspension and if the knock remains under braking then that could rule out a warped disc or a stone in the pads.

As someone has already said, my money would-be a CV joint.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: