[Mk2] [Turbo] Turbo Oil Pipe Gaskets/washers

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

timnutt

[Mk2] [Turbo] Turbo Oil Pipe Gaskets/washers

Post by timnutt »

Hi
My Mk2 Turbo developed an oil leak. With the help of some UV dye I tracked it down to where the turbo oil pipe meets the engine block. A pain to get to, but I manage remove the bolt and remove the old gaskets. The gaskets were clearly the wrong ones, perished rubber. Getting the new metal gasket behind the banjo was a fiddle, but I was rather pleased when I got it all sorted.

BUT.... When I put it all back together and started the engine, oil dribbled out from around the gaskets. I'm so cross and frustrated :mad:. What the hell have I done wrong. I looked up the correct torque for the bolt (51 Nm) which isn't a huge amount, but I followed the manual. My first thought was I was supplied the wrong gaskets. But TCB assured me they are the rights one.

Any ideas?? I assume I didn't need to add any sealant or anything. So frustrated. Hope someone can help.
Thanks!
Tim
tiff_lee

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Turbo Oil Pipe Gaskets/washers

Post by tiff_lee »

UV dye to find an oil leak? you added some dye to your oil? oil leaks are obvious enough without that.

Anyhow not much to the gaskets if they are the right shape then chances are they are the right gaskets, are the gasket surfaces/faces square though? i.e not warped etc
timnutt

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Turbo Oil Pipe Gaskets/washers

Post by timnutt »

tiff_lee wrote:UV dye to find an oil leak? you added some dye to your oil? oil leaks are obvious enough without that.

Yes, yes, and Oil leaks are not always obvious, especially when the oil leak is hidden. Anyway for me it helped a lot.

tiff_lee wrote:Anyhow not much to the gaskets if they are the right shape then chances are they are the right gaskets, are the gasket surfaces/faces square though? i.e not warped etc

Yes, the gaskets are the right shape and yes they are the right ones, and yes possibly the surfaces are not 100% smooth. Also there is a possibility that the surfaces are 100% clean. But getting to the oil pipe on the side of the engine is incredible awkward, you may understand where it is, but you can't you your hand to it as the actuator pipe is in the way, and the only way to remove that is to remove the turbo.

A great recommendation from another forum was to use copper washers. These will compress and pickup any warping. If they don't work, then it will be turbo out for a more thorough examination of the surfaces.

Thanks for your help...

Return to “Mechanical”