[Mk2] [Turbo] Import screen replacement

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

2tmike

[Mk2] [Turbo] Import screen replacement

Post by 2tmike »

Has anyone had a new windscreen fitted recently to an import? Mine is green with either a blue or green top tint (I can't tell which) and Autoglass say this is now unobtainable either from their glass suppliers or from Toyota and that only plain green glass can be obtained. Does anyone know differently ? Thanks
androo007

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Import screen replacement

Post by androo007 »

Check with toyota direct as I think it is
2tmike

Screen

Post by 2tmike »

Have tried, in fact one (of the four) screens that Autoglass sourced came from Toyota with all the lables on and was listed by them as green with green top tint but it actually had no top tint at all
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Oh that's interesting. I know alan bryson (dammit I forget his name here) has had a lot of trouble sourcing but did manage to get a new one for his import. Brown I think, but very tough. He managed to persuade the insurance to pay for it.
kirk

Post by kirk »

I had a similar issue tracking down a screen when a stone went through mine. I don't know how but my dealer managed to find one of only a few remaining green tinted screens left in the country. Granted it didn't have the windscreen antenna fitted like my car came with originally but I can live with that.
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

THat is a bit of a worry. Last I heard was that there were a few bronze tints still in the UK, but they are actually made by pilkington glass who are in the UK.

I wouldn't accept a green/blue tint in mine, but I'm not sure what the options become if they are flat refusing to make more bronze tints.
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

My bronze screen got cracked by a stone a couple of years ago and from memory it took 3 attempts to get the right screen.

1. guy turned up to repair it and without a screen in the van... even though i told them how big it was and they had agreed on phone to replace the screen and I had booked the right colour tint.

2. guy turned up with screen right shape and size but wrong colour tint. Also confirmed could not re-use the rubber seal, and he did not have the right one in the van. He had a moan on the phone at the dispatcher as the screen did not match the paperwork. Had to order in the right screen.

3. guy turned up with correct screen and seemed quite nervous and was going to try to re-use the old seal until I told him his mate said needs new seal due its age and might break up on removal. It got fitted with new seal.
Screen was not recessed evenly so got him to adjust before the sealant went off. Just as well I noticed as that would have been really annoying on a daily driver.

Shame guy 2 did not do it... he was a real jap car enthusiast and modder and probably would have done the best job of the bunch.
2tmike

Screen

Post by 2tmike »

Only 3 tries?? you did well !!!! it took them 7 visits to fit mine..and now they're coming back tomorrow to refit it as it creaks badly over bumps and in sharp turns
:((((
It does seem that Toyota stocks are running out of many parts now so sourcing is getting difficult for some things.....
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Not looking forward to this either as my screen has a crack on the edge. I'm going to go with these guys http://www.glasstecauto.co.uk/ as they are pretty highly recommended on pistonheads.

God knows where I'll get a bronze windscreen tho....

Return to “Mechanical”