www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
[Mk2] [Turbo] Import screen replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo -> Mechanical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2tmike

Feedback Score: 17

1998 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev5

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: [Mk2] [Turbo] Import screen replacement Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Has anyone had a new windscreen fitted recently to an import? Mine is green with either a blue or green top tint (I can't tell which) and Autoglass say this is now unobtainable either from their glass suppliers or from Toyota and that only plain green glass can be obtained. Does anyone know differently ? Thanks
androo007
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9

1994 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Check with toyota direct as I think it is
2tmike

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Screen Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Have tried, in fact one (of the four) screens that Autoglass sourced came from Toyota with all the lables on and was listed by them as green with green top tint but it actually had no top tint at all
androo007
Premium Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Oh that's interesting. I know alan bryson (dammit I forget his name here) has had a lot of trouble sourcing but did manage to get a new one for his import. Brown I think, but very tough. He managed to persuade the insurance to pay for it.
kirk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I had a similar issue tracking down a screen when a stone went through mine. I don't know how but my dealer managed to find one of only a few remaining green tinted screens left in the country. Granted it didn't have the windscreen antenna fitted like my car came with originally but I can live with that.
gavsdavs
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2

1991 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

THat is a bit of a worry. Last I heard was that there were a few bronze tints still in the UK, but they are actually made by pilkington glass who are in the UK.

I wouldn't accept a green/blue tint in mine, but I'm not sure what the options become if they are flat refusing to make more bronze tints.
rev3gtturbo

Feedback Score: 1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

My bronze screen got cracked by a stone a couple of years ago and from memory it took 3 attempts to get the right screen.

1. guy turned up to repair it and without a screen in the van... even though i told them how big it was and they had agreed on phone to replace the screen and I had booked the right colour tint.

2. guy turned up with screen right shape and size but wrong colour tint. Also confirmed could not re-use the rubber seal, and he did not have the right one in the van. He had a moan on the phone at the dispatcher as the screen did not match the paperwork. Had to order in the right screen.

3. guy turned up with correct screen and seemed quite nervous and was going to try to re-use the old seal until I told him his mate said needs new seal due its age and might break up on removal. It got fitted with new seal.
Screen was not recessed evenly so got him to adjust before the sealant went off. Just as well I noticed as that would have been really annoying on a daily driver.

Shame guy 2 did not do it... he was a real jap car enthusiast and modder and probably would have done the best job of the bunch.
2tmike

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Screen Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Only 3 tries?? you did well !!!! it took them 7 visits to fit mine..and now they're coming back tomorrow to refit it as it creaks badly over bumps and in sharp turns
[Sad](((
It does seem that Toyota stocks are running out of many parts now so sourcing is getting difficult for some things.....
Race Idiot
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 25

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Not looking forward to this either as my screen has a crack on the edge. I'm going to go with these guys http://www.glasstecauto.co.uk/ as they are pretty highly recommended on pistonheads.

God knows where I'll get a bronze windscreen tho....
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo -> Mechanical All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: