[Mk2] [Generic] Comparisons of suspension

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

gavsdavs

[Mk2] [Generic] Comparisons of suspension

Post by gavsdavs »

I've noticed mr2ben has a long list of alternative springs he can sell you

Spax 40mm 89-94 lowered
Standard Ride Height
Apex 30mm lowered
Tein 37mm front, 38mm rear lowered
H&R 20mm lowered
Spax 95-99 40mm lowered
Lesjors 40mm

He can sell you these on b6 yellow billies or the original OEM black billies.

There is no information about spring rates, or which of the yellow or black bilstein dampers are better (or worse) and why.

He maintains the yellows are 'uprated and used by the race cars'. Well my car isn't a race car and it needs to deal with our shitty road surfaces. I also don't know what you'd call 'uprated' with regards to shock absorbers.

So for those of you who've tried different suspension setups - what's worked ?

Clearly, if you replaced clapped out 20 year old shocks and springs with brand new ones, they're going to be better - so try not to simply say what you bought was much better because - duh - that's to be expected.
Why are they better.
Are they hard/soft ?
Body roll better/worse ?
I'm not really interested in lowering my car unless there's a really compelling reason to do it - I appreciate my ride height because it also means comfort.

Of the list above - has anybody tried any ? What are they like ? What works for your case ?

Gavs
raptor95GTS

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Comparisons of suspension

Post by raptor95GTS »

i have Yellow B6 struts on my Rev3 turbo and had them on before when i last time round I replaced the OEM Black units. Yellow B6 are stiffer but by how much I dont know and tbh they are fine for road usage.

Black OEM struts replaced 83k miles with Yellow B6 - OEM springs kept
Yellow B6 units replaced 162k miles - replaced OEM springs with H&R -20mm

Springs, no idea but don't fit H&R as the rears drop by more than 20mm and the fronts don't really move at all. Looks terrible though I have to say handles better than I can drive (rubbing aside). Currently having an email chat with H&R re their lopsided springs..
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Have a read here for a quick summary on the differences in the Bilstein range - https://balancemotorsport.co.uk/bilstein-suspension
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Recommend Balance Motorsport as someone to buy from as well, got my coilovers from them and they were very helpful :thumleft:
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

Good stuff guys, thanks for the info
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

Old rev2
swapped stock shocks and springs for yellow b6 shocks and -40mm spax springs. for road use the dampers seemed a bit too hard. swapped back to stock springs to test it out and the shocks are just a bit too abrupt. the handling was much better though.

After a season of drift days and track days the chassis broke. ripped out the front ARB mounts, front towers (no strut brace) took a beating, rears not so bad as all braced up. all the bushes died within months of fitting. the setup was just brutally hard. this was ok for drifting and track but on B-roads it was uncomfortable and made it twitchy on some of the bumps.

replaced the b6 with koni adjustable inserts (can't remember exact model but the yellow ones) and they were great with the spax springs. not as harsh but just as much handling. the adjustment was the key to it all. turn it up for the track or drift and down for the road. worked a charm.

Old rev1
had used b6 shocks when I got it but they were near end of life. put spax inserts and springs on. was an ok set and worked well but the shocks didn't last that many miles. nowhere near the quality of the koni, but were easier to adjust due to incriments rather than a single sweep on the koni.

current rev4
currently running new koni inserts with H&R springs. as above they don't lower well at the front and maybe a bit too much at the rear compared to the advertised -20mm. At first was thinking it was an install error.
The front springs seem too stiff which at some points on the road make it 'bob'. handling is good but the front bobbing is annoying even though it's not all the time, more when not pressing on hard. wouldn't use H&R again, top price for overly stiff front springs.

Just got a set of apex springs (-30mm) to replace the 2k old H&R ones. not tested this setup yet but chose it from many happy owners online saying they enjoyed the apex springs. there were a few voices saying they didn't like them but was light on detail.

Might be unfair to directly compare the setup of the apex as the car has now changed all ball joints, track rod ends and full set of poly bushes. plus it's 35kg lighter and the CoG has been moved a bit. Will report back with thoughts on them if you are still looking in a months time.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Some other spring options found via Yahoo Auctions / BidJDM / RHDJapan etc

RS*R Ti2000
Lowering amount F: -30 to 25 / R: -20 to 15.
Spring rates Front: 3.15 kg / mm Rear: 5.0 kg / mm

ESPELIR Super Downsus
Lowering amount F:-43~48 / R:-32~37
Spring rates F:2.8 / R:5.2 (kg/mm)

No doubt there's some more... Might be a bit expensive to get them here though. The ESPELIR sound like they lower way too much for a stock (with insert), B4, or B6 strut. RS*R seems more reasonable though.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

I remember Tanabe and Swift being recommended occasionally on the US OC

I think it was this model tanabe
https://www.amazon.com/TANABE-GF210-Low ... B003YIKCWQ
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Another one to consider, Ligier - https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f191365440

Front d → 8 to 13 mm
Rear d → 13mm
spring rate ⇒ front 2.80 rear 5.5 (assume kg/mm)
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

Not tried them myself but hear that the Tein springs are hard, if comfort is your angle I'd avoid them.

With -40mm springs there are things that catch the bottom of the car, it's just that bit too low to be ok all the time. The odd speed hump, little sticking up gate stops on electric gates etc. makes the car less practical. it's how I got fooled into the H&R springs with the modest drop.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

If comfort is a priority then I would write off any spring over -30mm :thumleft:

TBH Gav, it sounds like what you need is Bilstein B4 or B6 with new OEM springs!
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

Gazza_DJ wrote:If comfort is a priority then I would write off any spring over -30mm :thumleft:

TBH Gav, it sounds like what you need is Bilstein B4 or B6 with new OEM springs!

Yeah it's sounding like that. Yet to pull the rears apart to assess the state of things.

Always good to hear other people's experience.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

Gazza_DJ wrote:Another one to consider, Ligier - https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f191365440

Front d → 8 to 13 mm
Rear d → 13mm
spring rate ⇒ front 2.80 rear 5.5 (assume kg/mm)

interesting in these springs is the quoted length
front 236
rears 306

my springs which I assumed to be OEM as the car sat a bit high were

Fronts 240mm
rears 310mm

Return to “Modifications”