Cam belt failure engine damage?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SebW20

Cam belt failure engine damage?

Post by SebW20 »

Rev5 UK NA

Hi guys, recently had a cam belt failure caused by a seized water pump. Had the engine out and replaced all the necessaries. The engine is now back in and ready to be started again, however it doesn't' want to know.

Getting 6 bar compression on each of the cylinders, which is low but odd that it's consistent across all 4.

I'd been working under the premise that the 3SGE is a non-interference engine but does this sound like engine damage?

Anyone else had a cam belt failure with the engine running? Was there damage?

Cheers!
jon

Re: Cam belt failure engine damage?

Post by jon »

I've had a cam belt failure on a V6 3VZ-FE, same as you water sump seized. No damage but getting the crank and cams all lined up was a pain.

It sounds like you've got the cam timing wrong if all cylinders have low compression. Did you check for TDC on cylinder 1? You could be 180 degrees out as crank turns twice for one rotation of the camshaft.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

had a belt go at 7k rpm, no problem other than a new cambelt kit. change the water pump while you are at it and the tensioner.
Draven

Post by Draven »

I'm guessing you can turn the engine over by hand?

It is non interference so the pistons shouldn't have hit the valves.

You sure you've plumbed it back in properly.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

yeah sounds like a timing error. best double check that!

If TDC is hard to find for whatever reason, you can varify by sticking the dip stick down cylinder 1 spark plug hole. the cams you can see with the cam cover off and/or line up the markings on the pullies to the back cover.

good luck!
gips

Post by gips »

Valves are hit and they don't seal properly. The engine will hit them if belt is snapped unless maybe ,if it snaps during cranking. Have seen 3 engines with snapped belts, all had the same problem. You need new valves. I think the bearings should be fine, but you can replace them just in case.
Draven

Post by Draven »

gips wrote:Valves are hit and they don't seal properly. The engine will hit them if belt is snapped unless maybe ,if it snaps during cranking. Have seen 3 engines with snapped belts, all had the same problem. You need new valves. I think the bearings should be fine, but you can replace them just in case.

The 3S engines are non-interference. So if the belt snaps the pistons will not hit the valves.

So nothing should be damaged from the cam belt snapping.
gips

Post by gips »

:) He will be back and you will see the result. They do hit valves believe me, no matter that its written as non interference.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

gips wrote::) He will be back and you will see the result. They do hit valves believe me, no matter that its written as non interference.

The only way that will happen is if it has non standard cams and / or valves, or there is another failure that has caused the valve to drop.

Given that compression is pretty much equal across all 4 and low, it is most likely a mechanical timing issue as others have said.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

gips wrote::) He will be back and you will see the result. They do hit valves believe me, no matter that its written as non interference.

Had a belt snap at 7000rpm and drove home from the track day. No damage other than a broken belt. that was a rev2 3sge engine.

no valve damage, boroscope when home showed no piston contact with valves.

1st hand experience of the non interference, not interfering :D
tottacrolla

Post by tottacrolla »

pbmr2 wrote:

Had a belt snap at 7000rpm and drove home from the track day. No damage other than a broken belt. that was a rev2 3sge engine.

Blimey, impressive.
I've heard of engines running without oil before but this goes a whole stage further !
was it running in EV mode ?
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

It's non interference, that's what the cut outs on the stock pistons are for. With stock pistons and stock head / valvetrain etc, the valves at their lowest point still won't contact the pistons at the highest point of their travel.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

tottacrolla wrote:
pbmr2 wrote:

Blimey, impressive.
I've heard of engines running without oil before but this goes a whole stage further !
was it running in EV mode ?

Was bone stock rev2 engine, just filter and exhaust and about 120000 miles on the clock at the time. 3s bomproofness built in. it ain't no Ford.
synXero

Post by synXero »

pbmr2 wrote:

Forgive me if I misread but how the xxxx did you drive home with no belt?!
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

Well of course it didn't drive with a snapped belt :lol:
put another one on at the track, in the pits. didn't have the full belt kit to hand, mate went off and grabbed another belt.

Later found the original cause was failing tensioner, lasted the 90 miles home though. The same engine went on for another 4 years.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

I'm sure I remember a story on here or MR2OC about someone who fitted a new belt at the roadside as well :-k
synXero

Post by synXero »

pbmr2 wrote:Well of course it didn't drive with a snapped belt :lol:
put another one on at the track, in the pits. didn't have the full belt kit to hand, mate went off and grabbed another belt.

Later found the original cause was failing tensioner, lasted the 90 miles home though. The same engine went on for another 4 years.

Skillz.
SebW20

Post by SebW20 »

Sorry for the delayed follow up on this one...! It was indeed a timing error; with this rectified the engine started immediately and no sign of any damage (touch wood!)
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

knew it would be fine, glad you sorted it :thumleft:
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

Indeed, if you had bent valves you would have no compression. Glad you sorted it.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”