Coolant Leak

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Benstanley

Coolant Leak

Post by Benstanley »

Hi Guys,

I have done a search but not found my specific issue, my rev 3 turbo has quite a bad coolant leak that falls under the passenger seat area. When I have searched it has pulled up either hoses from hell dripping from a different place or water in actually behind the passenger seat in the car.

My leak is on the ground behind the passenger seat? I am guessing this is still the hoses from hell or hose from hell on earth.

Is there an up to date guide (with video/pictures) anywhere? I plan on leaving the old pipes in situe and running new pipes alongside them.

Any help welcomed!

Thanks

Ben
jimGTS

Re: Coolant Leak

Post by jimGTS »

could be one of the drain bolts on the 2 coolant hardpipes that run under the car...remove undertrays and youll see these

if not that, it could be the pipes from hell that run in a similar fashion but above the fuel tank.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/198/91450.html

the leak may appear to be at one point but because of the plastic undertrays it could well be at another point and running along the covers untill it finds a way out.

pipes from hell is common if it's not been repaired before. with the engine still in the best access is from the underside and by removing the fuel tank and anything else that in the way of that.

can easily do it in a day, a 2nd person to help refit the thank is very useful.

should be able to remove under plastics to prove where it's leaking before taking anything else off.
Benstanley

Post by Benstanley »

Awesome! Thanks guys! I am am hoping it is one of the drain bolts as it is quite a substantial leak!

I have read that you can do it without removing the tank and running the new lines alongside the tank, I have it booked in at my mates garage at the weekend so I will keep you all updated! :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”