Mr2 mk2 turbo modded, not starting weird one...

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

caldridge7

Mr2 mk2 turbo modded, not starting weird one...

Post by caldridge7 »

Hey guys need help as I'm super confused or silly...

First up my engine its had all the work done ie cammed, crank forged, 800cc injectors..

Okay so I have a link g3+ but not wired it up yet so I wanted to just start it up to make sure the engine is at least running, it starts but I have to hold the accelerater on if I let it off it will die right away.

Is it possible that the afm is seeing so much fuel that it simply cuts out or is something bigger here at play....

It does not have a adjustable fuel pressure regulator by the way not sure if I really need one but sint think it would cause it to not idle... It has fuel and has air and spark...

Lord help me please!!
Bear87

Re: Mr2 mk2 turbo modded, not starting weird one...

Post by Bear87 »

With 800cc injectors you will be flooding the cylinders. The standard ecu only works by opening the injectors for a set period of time (bearing in mind you say your car has a afm making it a rev1 or 2 the oem ones are only 440cc) . As the ecu doesnt know you have uprated fuel injectors you run the risk of hydrolocking the engine. I wouldnt run it untill you have it mapped correctly as you could cause major damage.

You will also need a fuel pressure regulator (its so important on any fuel system upgrade) and an upgraded fuel pump

The afm only measures air flow but with your link g3 you would be better off losing the afm and changing for a map sensor.

Hope that helps :thumleft:
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

dont even try and start it until you are on a mappable ecu with a basemap for those injectors

you dont need an adjustable fpr.
caldridge7

Post by caldridge7 »

Thanks for the replys guys thank you big time also why don't I need a fpr should I disconnected the original one as I hear people do that or just leave it alone?
Bear87

Post by Bear87 »

You need to reduce the pressure in the rail down.

Dale is not wrong when say you dont have to (i.e stick with the factory regulator) but if it is original to car you would have to be sure of its condition. At least with a aftermarket unit you can use the gauge to visually inspect and adjust the pressure. The factory unit is not adjustable to my knowledge.

My car also has similar mods to yours and ive found it to help in tuning.

Do not completly remove a fpr from the system!
caldridge7

Post by caldridge7 »

Okay will do quick question with the map sensor does it plug into the afm plug as it does fit right in...
Bear87

Post by Bear87 »

I believe (maybe corrected) you can use the rev3 onwards toyota sensor or an aftermarket one.

It will need new cables run and the old afm plug is discarded. Speak with your tuner/dyno centre as to what your best options are with the link ecu. May be dependant on power goals etc as im sure have read on here the afm is only capable of working to 250hp which i assume with your mods your are aiming for higher than that. Although.... if you are still running a ct26 turbo its going to restrict you going much above that anyway.

Lots of guys on here run the link g3 hopefully they will post for you.
caldridge7

Post by caldridge7 »

Running a t67 272 cams
Bear87

Post by Bear87 »

272 cams :shock: im on brian crower 264s

Yea defo gonna need a propper tune. Please dont try and start it! Have you had cams set and correct shims fitted in?
Thats a big cam. Are you looking to run her on the road?
caldridge7

Post by caldridge7 »

Umm I got a good tuner and yer only weekend car really

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”