£118 Distributor Cap??

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

pnelson

£118 Distributor Cap??

Post by pnelson »

Phoned Mr T for a distributor cap and rotor arm today at lunch.

£118 for the cap and £36 for the arm? Totally insane!

Guess I'll get some reproduction bits instead...
SonicSW20

Re: £118 Distributor Cap??

Post by SonicSW20 »

FWIW I've not had any issues with the Nipparts ones on an NA.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

give TCBparts a call
Bear87

Post by Bear87 »

Like gazza i use the nipparts one they are fine! Also get them at euro car parts normally have them stocked.
stecad

Post by stecad »

Always bought mine from MR2 Ben (until I came across TCB) and never had any problems.
The only thing I find with Europarts is that their prices can be steep. If you wait until they send you an email with a discount code then the price becomes more sensible. They are handy, but you don't always get the bargain you think you're getting. I've also worked out that they will give you a second discount if you put an item in your basket then leave it for 24hrs. Usually get an email offering another 5% to complete the order. Happy days.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

ha, thats a nice trick indeed! Must remember that for ECP :thumleft:
kirk

Post by kirk »

Not sure why people don't just use blueprint ones. They're Toyota quality and made in Japan rather than china.
pnelson

Post by pnelson »

Ordered the Nippart equivalents. Thanks for the advice everyone!
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

kirk wrote:Not sure why people don't just use blueprint ones. They're Toyota quality and made in Japan rather than china.

The quality of pattern parts was awful 10-15 years ago. There's a lot of xxxx ones about now. That reputation remains even though there's stuff around now of decent quality.
stecad

Post by stecad »

A mechanic mate of mine always reckons that the key thing is to decide on how easy it is to replace the part if it goes wrong again. If it's an absolute b1tch, e.g. clutch slave cylinder then go with the OEM.
If its a simple 15 min job then take a punt with the copy.
You should also take a view of the cost as a rough rule of thumb is that the actual cost of the product is about 40% of the selling price. This should also give you an idea of how well made the part is, and therefore how reliable it is likely to be.
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

I was using non-OEM caps on N/A and Turbo engines without problems untill I installed standalone ECU. With non-OEM cap (YEC brand I think) and standalone ECU problems started. In short, tacho was jumping and car hesitated sometimes. Went back to used OEM and car runs great.
RST

Post by RST »

In the past I have had a couple of issues with nipparts items but never had a glitch with blueprint. I usually always compared prices with OEM, sometimes it's not always worth the difference -and like said before, for "difficult parts" sometimes better to pay more and the security of doing the job once.

Rich

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”