High Idle

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Boddney

High Idle

Post by Boddney »

Hi everyone, long time no speak.
I'm after some advice please.
My poor little Roxie hasn't had much use over the last few years but last summer on a rare run out she burst her radiator. No overheat or anything that bad.
I got a new one and fitted it but ever since she's had a high idle.
I know this is due to air in the system but I just can't seem to get it out. I've followed Jimi's 'how to' on how to bleed over and over but the idle just won't sit properly.
I've changed the coolant in the past and used the same method and it's always been fine.
Is there anything else it could be or that I'm missing?
Thanks,
Bod
PW@Woodsport

Re: High Idle

Post by PW@Woodsport »

It's not necessarily air in the system, if you are 100% sure it has no air in the coolant then it is more likely to be a seized waxstat cold idle valve.

You can diagnose this by blocking off the 5p sized hole inside the throttle body with your finger while the engine is running, if it stalls or drops right down to low revs then your waxstat bypass valve is stuck open slightly.

There is no fix, apart from a replacement unit or fit one of my excellent manual choke kits :D
Boddney

Post by Boddney »

Ok thanks Paul I'll try that tomorrow. Nice sales work by the way👌
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

You're welcome, notice I said "fit" not "buy", so not technically a sales pitch :D , I'm sure I have an old choke kit you can have if it came to that.

:thumleft:
Boddney

Post by Boddney »

What a top bloke. I didn't have time today to try it so I'll try and fit it in over the weekend.
Cheers,
Bod
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

The choke kit is really good, I have one on my car. Its only ever on for about 30 seconds, because once you're driving its no longer needed, am sure over the years it has reduced my fuel use.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
Boddney

Post by Boddney »

I still haven't had time to look at it yet. I'll get there I promise!

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”