www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
High Idle

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boddney

Feedback Score: 0

1987 Toyota MR2 Mk1b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: High Idle Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Hi everyone, long time no speak.
I'm after some advice please.
My poor little Roxie hasn't had much use over the last few years but last summer on a rare run out she burst her radiator. No overheat or anything that bad.
I got a new one and fitted it but ever since she's had a high idle.
I know this is due to air in the system but I just can't seem to get it out. I've followed Jimi's 'how to' on how to bleed over and over but the idle just won't sit properly.
I've changed the coolant in the past and used the same method and it's always been fine.
Is there anything else it could be or that I'm missing?
Thanks,
Bod
PW@Woodsport
IMOC Affiliated Company

Feedback Score: 30

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

It's not necessarily air in the system, if you are 100% sure it has no air in the coolant then it is more likely to be a seized waxstat cold idle valve.

You can diagnose this by blocking off the 5p sized hole inside the throttle body with your finger while the engine is running, if it stalls or drops right down to low revs then your waxstat bypass valve is stuck open slightly.

There is no fix, apart from a replacement unit or fit one of my excellent manual choke kits [Very Happy]

1987 Toyota MR2 Mk1b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Ok thanks Paul I'll try that tomorrow. Nice sales work by the way👌
PW@Woodsport
IMOC Affiliated Company

Feedback Score: 30

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

You're welcome, notice I said "fit" not "buy", so not technically a sales pitch [Very Happy] , I'm sure I have an old choke kit you can have if it came to that.

[thumleft]
Boddney

1987 Toyota MR2 Mk1b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

What a top bloke. I didn't have time today to try it so I'll try and fit it in over the weekend.
Cheers,
Bod
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Feedback Score: 7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

The choke kit is really good, I have one on my car. Its only ever on for about 30 seconds, because once you're driving its no longer needed, am sure over the years it has reduced my fuel use.
Boddney

1987 Toyota MR2 Mk1b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I still haven't had time to look at it yet. I'll get there I promise!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: