Goodridge clutch line adapter fitting issue and bleeding problem general

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Daemonslayer

Goodridge clutch line adapter fitting issue and bleeding problem general

Post by Daemonslayer »

Hi fellas,
i orderd a MR2 turbo braided clutch line over ebay seller mjd128 (RiceRocketUk) Goodridge Red Braided Clutch Hose fit Toyota MR2 1990 - 1999.
As i had my clutch slave cylinder completley removed and drained (i built a custom engine mount for my mount killing OS giken) the system is completley empty.

Now this goodridge line comes with an anoized blue fitting to mate with the clutch slave tread.I hoped the line is a plug and play soultion :/

When i screw it in it stops by contacting the clutch slave cyl. surface before actually mating with the inner cone.
Therefore i have problems getting it 100% sealed.Maybe the plan is to use a copper washer here?In my opinion the fittings surface area around the tread is to thin to accept a good washer sealing there (about 12mm outer diameter).About 14 mm socket nut..

So i bleed the clutch forever with 2 people.No improvement at all.It seems we only move the air back and forh forever.
The car is jacked up pretty high at the rear so i can go under there.
Maybe that position a problem?
I tried pumping like 10 times.hold pedal pressed,open bleedervalve.wait.close valve.Pump again.repeat.
No real improvement.
Then i mounted the OEM clutch line again with the same issue.No bleeding possible.

In the US Forum ive read about the frunk "bleeding" points at the brass like fitting at the left side of the firewall and about the fitting on the reservoir front side itself.It seems air can be trapped there?
My next idea would use a syringe to press the fluid through the bleeder valve to the front of the car?

i did everything you can imagine on a car.but this thing gives me troubles ^^

let me know of ideas about the goodridge issue (who has them?) and about the bleeding of the clutch line..

thanks!
pbmr2

Re: Goodridge clutch line adapter fitting issue and bleeding problem general

Post by pbmr2 »

been a while since my last mr2 clutch but it was a pig to bleed. took ages. in the end we used a screen wash pump on the bleed nipple and let it draw through a lot of fluid.

then we did the normal 2 man clutch bleeding and it seemed much better.

was reading something the other day on the mr2oc.com about the double pipes for the slave being hard to bleed and there was a method on how to improve it. maybe do a search for that.

my engine is out at the moment so i've got this fun to come again :D
stecad

Re: Goodridge clutch line adapter fitting issue and bleeding problem general

Post by stecad »

Hi mate - just had exactly the same issue last month. The blue union piece needs to be tightened almost to the point at which you think it will strip. You can then get the right seal when you tighten up the hose onto the blue adaptor.
Drove me mad as each time I thought I had it I'd just get the clutch working and the pressure would then start it leaking at the blue adaptor.
See my earlier post on how to bleed once you get it all sealed. Mine didn't need a copper washer, and as you say there isn't enough thread on the blue adaptor to take one.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”