[Mk2] [Turbo] Help Request - cluster conversion mechanical to electronic speedo

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

tehdub

[Mk2] [Turbo] Help Request - cluster conversion mechanical to electronic speedo

Post by tehdub »

Hi All, LTL FTP.

I own a 91 JDM GTS with an early E153 box. I'm trying to convert to 93 plus cluster and electronic speed sensor because my cable drive keeps snapping and the cable is no longer available from Mr T. The cluster conversion has gone well from a wiring perspective.. All the lights work correctly, and light up in the right places at the right time.

The issue I have is with the Speedo. I get no speed displayed and it's driving me mad. Wiring is done correctly, 12v feed from the fuse a box in the engine bay and ground via the ground strap on the inspection panel. Single wire run through to the correct pin on the cluster connector. 12v and ground test fine from the plug. Can't test signal as I don't have a scope.

I've had the speed sensor out twice now to try different combos of driven gear as I couldn't get any info on what was right to use. After some careful checking, I can see that you have to use the electronic drive gear, the mechanical one won't work as it's too short and the link bit doesn't engage, and makes the mech one too long to get the clip on. Now, as far as I can tell there is no link in the electronic drive, it engages in a slot at the back of the sensor. Firstly can someone confirm this as if there is a link piece this is an issue.

Also, the mechanical drive is longer than the electronic one. Looks like the electronic one won't engage with the Speedo drive in my box.

Anyone done this conversion and can confirm that the electronic drive works in the early E153 transmission?

Cheers for any help you can give. Also, if anyone is trying this and wants my spreadsheet with pinouts and wire colors PM me. The JDM pinouts are totally different to the USDM & UKDM wiring.

Return to “Electrical”