[Mk2] [NA] Need advice: Is my timing off?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Masacur

[Mk2] [NA] Need advice: Is my timing off?

Post by Masacur »

Hi,

I am hoping to gain some advice about what might be the issue with my SW20. It is a 1992 Rev2 converted with Rev3 engine.

• - Upon accelerating, the car starts to hesitate and hold power. Becomes worse on higher gears.
    - If you drive at constant speed between 2000-4000 rpm and give additional throttle, it starts to go but after 0.2-0.5 sec it looks like it is hitting rpm limiter.
    - Above 5500 rpm it feels normal and pulls hard.
    - I think it misfires because when idling I hear little explosions from the exhaust once per 2 second or so

I am thinking about a timing issue but I am not really experienced with diagnosing problems.

I hope you are able to judge from the video what could be issue.

Thank you!

https://youtu.be/ic33x9YCSuk
Bear87

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Need advice: Is my timing off?

Post by Bear87 »

I would start with your ignition system. Mr2s are known to have issues like yours. Check your dizzy cap, rotor arm, ht leads, plugs and possibly the coil.

They are also known for leaking capacitors on the ecu. Just pull the ecu cover and see if any caps are leaking it can cause similar symptoms.

Timing is also a possibility but i would start with the easy/most likely causes.

Hope that helps :thumleft:
Masacur

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Need advice: Is my timing off?

Post by Masacur »

Thanks for the reply.

The previous owner washed the engine bay and the spark plug holes/cylinders where full of water. I cleaned them out and it is running perfect again.

Return to “Mechanical”