www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
[Mk2] [Turbo] Fidanza flywheel or light flywheel

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pbmr2
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 10

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: [Mk2] [Turbo] Fidanza flywheel or light flywheel Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Hi All,

Anyone running a light flywheel on your tubby?
Got one here ready for the install but now unsure if it's the best idea for a daily after reading some internet stuff.

It's the heavier of the 2 fiddy flywheels.

Just weighed them both:
Stock 3sgte 7.36kg
Fiddy flywheel 4.42kg

So 2.94kg lighter than OEM.

What the internet doesn't tell me is how the lighter one might make daily use less enjoyable. If you have or had a light flywheel could you please explain how it changes the way the car needs to be driven?

Thanks.
Dale_V

Feedback Score: 49

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Ive had a lighter one for the past 9 years and had no issues at all. You dont have to change the way you drive.. For me its the clutch that I have that I needed to change my driving style for in stop start straffic. (6 paddle clutch)

But the flywheel will have no ill effects.. just enjoy the way they rev [thumleft]
Race Idiot
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 25

1994 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I had a JUN one on my old car, it did need a bit of getting used to but I loved the revvy feel of it!

I think I still have it somewhere, but I'm going twinplate on my build so it won't be used.

I remember there was someone on here who used to scaremonger everyone saying that their cranks would break if you used one tho.........
Premium Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Thanks guys, yeah no worry about the crank as think that is more the pulley at the other end. Keeping that standard.

Could you both elaborate on how is needed the driving style to change please?
Is it just more revs to pull away?
Does it suffer from dropping revs too much between gears?
Or something else?

What I'm hoping is the more free revving gen4 will enjoy a lighter flywheel and help spool and rev matching throttle blips on downshifts.

Cheers
Dale_V

Feedback Score: 49

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

It does help with rev matching, and there is no suffering from drop in revs between gears. For me there has been no downsides only benefits that it revs freely.

I genuinely wouldn't even be in 2 minds about it, get it fitted [thumleft]
pbmr2
Premium Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Great news, thank you.

That's a small load off the mind, and a 3kg lighter car. [Dancing]
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo -> Modifications All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: