Mr2 mk2 turbo when does the side mount intercooler run out of power + fuel pump.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

caldridge7

Mr2 mk2 turbo when does the side mount intercooler run out of power + fuel pump.

Post by caldridge7 »

Hi guys sorry for the title difficult. To fit it all in...

What I want to know is when does the side mount intercooler not perform well at the max horsepower... Basically when does the cooling not become enough hp wise..

Next is the fuel pump, when does the fuel pump require upgrading regarding hp output ie 400hp? What is the fuel pump good for?
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Re: Mr2 mk2 turbo when does the side mount intercooler run out of power + fuel pump.

Post by Martin F »

The fuel pump will work fine if you are pushing Boost to the limits of where it will produce good power. HP wise 320ish hp is the max you will get without spending 8k+...
The intercooler is tiny and i am surprised it does any job whatsoever so upgrading it to a £100 ebay core won't hurt either the engine or your wallet. :wink:
markstevieandmads

Re: Mr2 mk2 turbo when does the side mount intercooler run out of power + fuel pump.

Post by markstevieandmads »

Id be changing the fuel pump to a walboro anyway as the standard ones will be 20yrs plus old by now and losing their efficency.

Not too bad a job if you can get the car high enough.
caldridge7

Post by caldridge7 »

Forgot to mention I got a ebay intercooler fitted but don't know how much it can take till it goes out.

Also the engine has had all work done crank, cams ported forged lighten flywheel etc its a 600 hp engine capability...

Only looking to get 300 at the moment don't want to much as a ct26 turbo will be on...
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

If u get a bigger turbo then you can get more power without pushing the turbo like you would be doing with a ct26.
It will help your intercooler as it wouldnt be pushing as hot air as a ct26 would be anyway
Hez

Post by Hez »

Well if your on standard turbo leave the fuel pump no point upgrading , it will do 1.2 bar on a side mount . You will get loads of people on here telling you side mounts will only do 300hp etc , I'm running a greddy side mount at 1.8 bar on a gt3082r and while it isn't ideal it does the job as a road car, obviously for he track I would go boot mount. For a road car a side mount will do the job but if you intend on pushing for a sustained period upgrade to boot mount and / or water injection .

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”