Burst inner CV joint at drag strip - where to get stronger ones in UK?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

toecutter

Burst inner CV joint at drag strip - where to get stronger ones in UK?

Post by toecutter »

Burst an inner CV joint at the drag strip (4 hour drive there for it to fail on the first run!)

A few guys there with MR2s told me to get uprated ones, only place I can find that lists them in the UK is xxxx, but they are listed as out of stock and they don't reply to email or FB.

Is there anywhere else in the UK to get them?

Thanks
jimGTS

Re: Burst inner CV joint at drag strip - where to get stronger ones in UK?

Post by jimGTS »

I'm only aware of 2 options

CRW or ATS racing. Both do uprated CV joints.
Both however are in the US.

No one this side of the world make parts for our cars like this afaik.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

"the driveshaft shop" in the states makes two different options of shafts too..

level 2 '550bhp' shafts which have porsche style 108mm inner cv's, and the '800bhp' shafts which have bigger inner and outer cv's, thicker shafts and new drive flanges.. they are $2000 though..

afaik the CRW bearing cages are adapted/modified from another car.. a toyota 4x4 rings a bell but i cant remember for sure, whereas the ATS bearing cages are custom machined
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Yep most of that rings a bell.

Believe the stage 1 CRW is like a Porsche cage.

Either way, better than stock.

Or just find some secondhand stock ones. :eye:
toecutter

Post by toecutter »

Had a look at the driveshaft shop, the 550HP ones are $1000.

The CRW kit seems to come with more bits for less money. ATS ones may be better but not needed for my power levels. Didn't expect mine to break, must dyno it and see what it's putting out.

Will try and find out which CVs CRW use, see if I can source them myself.

As much as I would like to fit a stock one, I don't fancy another 6 hour wait for the AA :lol:
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

One of the blog posts of the blog linked in the thread "a good read" the guy changes his CV joints for beefier ones. Obviously he is in US also but that would tell you brand a d has pics.you may be able to contact him for source.
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Worth noting the CRW ones come with a lifetime guarantee too, but I've also heard they are adapted, if anyone can find out where from that would be great for the Mr2 community :lol:

What power are you running and which strip did it break on?
toecutter

Post by toecutter »

abovetherim wrote:One of the blog posts of the blog linked in the thread "a good read" the guy changes his CV joints for beefier ones. Obviously he is in US also but that would tell you brand a d has pics.you may be able to contact him for source.

Thanks, he uses ATS ones.[/quote]
toecutter

Post by toecutter »

Gullzter wrote:Worth noting the CRW ones come with a lifetime guarantee too, but I've also heard they are adapted, if anyone can find out where from that would be great for the Mr2 community :lol:

I have had a look but can't find anything other than they are 4x4 ones. CRW probably hasn't disclosed the exact model!

I would estimate between 250 - 300WHP. Still on 440cc's. It does have a 3 paddle Exedy clutch. Was at Crail so not the best surface, tyres are 245 Rainsport 3's. Have previously ran flat 13's there.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

toecutter wrote:
Gullzter wrote:Worth noting the CRW ones come with a lifetime guarantee too, but I've also heard they are adapted, if anyone can find out where from that would be great for the Mr2 community :lol:

I have had a look but can't find anything other than they are 4x4 ones. CRW probably hasn't disclosed the exact model!.

I've had a look too, I don't think it's public knowledge, otherwise nobody would buy his CV's.. he's definitely not going to blow up his spot by sharing the knowledge. I suppose if you really cared you could take some educated guesses and then buy the parts and see if they go together.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

toecutter wrote:

I have had a look but can't find anything other than they are 4x4 ones. CRW probably hasn't disclosed the exact model!

I would estimate between 250 - 300WHP. Still on 440cc's. It does have a 3 paddle Exedy clutch. Was at Crail so not the best surface, tyres are 245 Rainsport 3's. Have previously ran flat 13's there.

Were you in the black 2 at banzai?
Weird that at that power and at crail which isn't sticky you broke it, must have got a real perfect launch to do that :shock:
toecutter

Post by toecutter »

Yeah that was me, saw a couple other blacks two's, were you there?

Yeah I wasn't expecting it at all, didn't even know stronger ones were available until the guy towing me back round told me to get them (he used to have one).

Have ordered the CRW stage 1 kit from twosRus, the housing is savable, but need to source a second hand inner race.
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

toecutter wrote:Yeah that was me, saw a couple other blacks two's, were you there?

Yeah I wasn't expecting it at all, didn't even know stronger ones were available until the guy towing me back round told me to get them (he used to have one).

Have ordered the CRW stage 1 kit from twosRus, the housing is savable, but need to source a second hand inner race.

Yeah I was in the red 2 in the shoot outs, unfortunately my bald tyres said no to getting a decent time :eye:

Least the CRW come with a lifetime warranty, I suppose it's just shipping costs that are a nightmare if you ever need to change them under warranty :sick:
toecutter

Post by toecutter »

All terrain tyres are the way forward at Crail!

Yeah I was $80 to get them shipped over here...

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”