Hello and a question about scuttle shake

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

tfmorton

Hello and a question about scuttle shake

Post by tfmorton »

Hello IMOC'ers. I have just joined as I am now the proud owner of a 2002 MK3.
I actually had a MK1 many many years ago which I had to sell when my first child came along...now said first child is as tall as me (6'1") and has got his own car. My daughter is starting to drive in a couple of months so it seemed the perfect time to go back to the MR2 which I always loved. I was actually a member of the IMOC community when it was on the old Yahoo groups, and still receive IMOC-Chat messages haha.

Anyway - I bought the very first car I looked at. It's in a lovely Spectra blue and really good condition. The first thing I did once home is check for any signs of the dreaded oil burning. Luckily there is no evidence to suggest anything a miss. I then did an oil change and whipped off the exhaust manifold and bashed out the pre-cat (surprisingly all the bolts came out no problem). There were no signs of fracture, but now it's gone it can't cause any damage.

So onto my question then...scuttle shake. This thing really does shake quite a lot. Any undulations in the road make the think come alive, not in a good way. I've heard of chassis/steering feedback - but this is ridiculous. How much scuttle shake is considered normal, if at all?

Thanks.
mr2carol

Re: Hello and a question about scuttle shake

Post by mr2carol »

Im not really aware of scuttle shake in my mk3. The ride is smooth and compliant so something may be amiss.
Sable MK3 MR2 Roadster!
TTE exhaust.
Yokohama AD08R tyres.
tfmorton

Post by tfmorton »

What do you think might be the cause...dodgy tyres perhaps?
Jvanzyl

Post by Jvanzyl »

tfmorton wrote:
So onto my question then...scuttle shake. This thing really does shake quite a lot. Any undulations in the road make the think come alive, not in a good way. I've heard of chassis/steering feedback - but this is ridiculous. How much scuttle shake is considered normal, if at all?

Thanks.

You can save a heck of a lot of effort by going for drive in another MK3... where you based? I'm sure if there isn't a MK3 near you on this forum there will be one local to you on MR2ROC... basically everyone is usually very happy to take others out for drives and you'll be able to quickly tell what's "normal" - otherwise you might spend ages talking around the topic...

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”