99 BEAMS REV 5

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

garygt4

99 BEAMS REV 5

Post by garygt4 »

Hi Guys, looking for a bit of info on these cars if anyone knows it? just wondering how many were made and info like that,plus what is a 99 one worth with 50k miles and in champagne gold colour?

Cheers.
synXero

Re: 99 BEAMS REV 5

Post by synXero »

I had a 97/98 in Cosmos Blue. There were only 1000 made from the factory, all for the JDM.

Mine had all the bells and whistles, and I advertised it for £4k back in October 2013. In the end I think I took £3500 for it. I felt like that was a really good sale price.

I haven't tracked the MR2 market at all since then so I have no idea what it would be worth now!

Miss you, R671TKV... :cry:
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

garygt4 wrote:Hi Guys, looking for a bit of info on these cars if anyone knows it? just wondering how many were made and info like that,plus what is a 99 one worth with 50k miles and in champagne gold colour?

Cheers.

Its the engine that all G and G-limited rev5's mr2's were sold with in Japan. It's pretty much just the standard NA with VVTI and probably tuned to suit.

A lot of people say there was only ever 1000 beams mr2's made but no one has ever been able to find the actual total build numbers of them. There's always more than a few of them for sale at the Japanese car auctions so if I was placing a bet i'd say there's more than 1000…

From speaking to owners of them - they say they are pretty much like a normal NA but if you like to rev your cars out the beams drives ok.

Whats it worth? Depends on history, condition and originality. Beams can be a real pain in the r's when people start to 'customise' air intakes and other little bits as the ecu gets very temperamental.

Theres a few people out there who think they are worth their weight in gold. synx would have been pretty happy with that sale price i'd imagine.

But all depends on yours cars condition.
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

I've always wondered about the BEAMS - kind of think it may be more suited to fast road driving than the turbo as you could probably wring the power out of it and spend less time on the brakes :lol: Probably comparable power to weight to a DC2, might be a lot of fun :-k

Only problem is they seem to be mega rare and around 4k..ish?
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

I'd sort of like one just because, but wouldn't expect ball tearing power from it. I know a dude who has had a v6, turbo 3s and the beams all in SW's, he rated the beams as 'cool' but least favoured on the list of three.

I think 4k is way too much for one, unless it was really in fantastic condition. There was a guy a year or two ago trying to sell one for around that money but it had some rust. It didn't sell.

There was a really nice red one that sold in 2015 for £2000, thats more realistic to me. Beams is all nice and cool, but its just vvti, and getting bits to replace things like airboxes is a total (*^(&$*^%$ they tell me.
synXero

Post by synXero »

CalMac wrote:I've always wondered about the BEAMS - kind of think it may be more suited to fast road driving than the turbo as you could probably wring the power out of it and spend less time on the brakes :lol: Probably comparable power to weight to a DC2, might be a lot of fun :-k

Only problem is they seem to be mega rare and around 4k..ish?

Having gone to pretty serious lengths to own one, and having driven standard Rev 3 as well, in fact owning both cars at the same time -- I'd hand on heart say... It's simply not worth it. It's not any quicker than a standard Rev 3. Back when I had the Beams I went on several fast road drives with friends in their Rev3 etcs. One friend in particular, Mark, was markedly faster on all twisties, simply because he was a better driver than me. The Beams was not enough to compensate for that at all, on long fast sweepers nor on short sharp hairpinners. I was 3/4 of the way to fitting a Rotrex centrifugal supercharger to mine as a result when I got a little bored of it and went Corvette shopping instead :lol:

The turbo is immeasurably more exhilerating on the road IMO, albeit perhaps not the better road car for it...? Dunno. Age old discussion!
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

I've had a beams which I sold pretty cheap (also purchased it cheap) as it had a lot of tlc required. I would say they definitely go and sound better than an na but not a turbo.. I'd have a turbo every minute of every day of the week.
As a track car it would probably be quite good and obviously the rarity of it compared to other models makes it an investment I think :thumleft:
garygt4

Post by garygt4 »

Its a gold mica beige, and only 83000 kilometres, can trace the milage back from when imported, car seems totally standard, except for coilovers and alloys.
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

garygt4 wrote:Its a gold mica beige, and only 83000 kilometres, can trace the milage back from when imported, car seems totally standard, except for coilovers and alloys.

Thats a real love/hate colour, hard to re-sell. T-top or hardtop?

You'll have to keeo in mind, it's just an n/a (just… they still are enjoyable but a mile away from turbos) Honestly, B.E.A.M.S. could really stand for T.O.S.S. > it's just VVTI. Sort of interesting news back in the day, go telling your mates your car has VVTI….

Its a G or G-limited car, which in Japanese speak means poverty pack.
garygt4

Post by garygt4 »

Its a hard top, not sure if its g or g limited
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Weren't they all glimited?
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Gullzter wrote:Weren't they all glimited?

No, all JDM rev5's NAs had the Beams.
So that's G & G-Limited.
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

JohnnyC wrote:

So that's G & G-Limited.

What does the G consist of compared to the Glimited?
Wasn't aware there was a G :-k
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Gullzter wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:

So that's G & G-Limited.

What does the G consist of compared to the Glimited?
Wasn't aware there was a G :-k

G is the base spec. Not many around especially in the later years.

aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

Gazza_DJ wrote:

G is the base spec. Not many around especially in the later years.

Wow, that just looks so wrong without the wing. I have never seen one for sale like that in Japan, thought it was just a weird UK thing.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

I know, not a great look!

As I understand it, it's much like the GT-S where you could spec most of the stuff that comes on the G Limited as an option.

This older G is for sale on Goo-Net at the moment -

http://www.goo-net.com/usedcar/spread/g ... 07001.html

The ad claims this is a G, but it was the Rev5 wing and there are no badges on the back so equally could have just ticked the wrong box when listing - http://www.goo-net.com/usedcar/spread/g ... 13002.html
craig

Post by craig »

Gazza_DJ wrote:I know, not a great look!

As I understand it, it's much like the GT-S where you could spec most of the stuff that comes on the G Limited as an option.

Both cars look super clean. Love the rare retro manual windows on the white one! 8)
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

craig wrote:

Both cars look super clean. Love the rare retro manual windows on the white one! 8)

You can get lost for a while on Goo-Net, some lovely stuff on there. Some of the prices are pretty high though, much higher than what goes through auction.

BEAMS Sonic Shadow tin top with only 19,000km on the clock. Pop that price into Google though and see what it is in GBP :shock: - http://www.goo-net.com/usedcar/spread/g ... 12004.html

The Daie Motors stock always looks immaculate! - http://www.goo-net.com/usedcar/spread/g ... 09001.html
craig

Post by craig »

Gazza_DJ wrote:
craig wrote:

You can get lost for a while on Goo-Net, some lovely stuff on there. Some of the prices are pretty high though, much higher than what goes through auction.

BEAMS Sonic Shadow tin top with only 19,000km on the clock. Pop that price into Google though and see what it is in GBP :shock: - http://www.goo-net.com/usedcar/spread/g ... 12004.html

The Daie Motors stock always looks immaculate! - http://www.goo-net.com/usedcar/spread/g ... 09001.html

19 GRAND!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o

I'll have a look around. The MR2s on there seem like new cars!
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

craig wrote:

19 GRAND!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o

I'll have a look around. The MR2s on there seem like new cars!

Yeah but its a beams... :lol: :lol:

I'd like one, but it's not a must have.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”