Radiator fans cut out after a while (only on track days)

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

auzzam

Radiator fans cut out after a while (only on track days)

Post by auzzam »

Hi guys,

So before I went to my previous track day I put in a LED that would light up everyone the fans would get power. (I did this as my radiator thermostat packed up previously, so for peace of mind I'd know now everything was working when the LED switched on)

Anyway, the whole of the morning sessions the fans have been kicking in and out as expected (identified by the led light). In the afternoon session however after a few laps the fans did not come on and the car started to overheat.

I had also wired a direct switch to the fans in order to permanently switch them on. When I pressed this they turned on as expected.

My question is why would the fans randomly turn off after sustained driving... Is it to do with them overheating or something similar to a hair dryer lol?

Really want to get to the bottom of this before the next track day. Although I have always got my 12v power as a backup.

Worth pointing out on the way home everything worked as normal with the fans kicking in and out as expected...

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”