Cuts out after a few seconds of idling *SOLVED*

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dark_uk

Cuts out after a few seconds of idling *SOLVED*

Post by dark_uk »

Hi All,

Something very strange started happening the other day. When I go to start the car she fires up and idles at the correct cold start RPM then after a few seconds the engine dies and the check engine light comes on!

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Thanks!
Last edited by dark_uk on Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Draven

Re: Cuts out after a few seconds of idling *SOLVED*

Post by Draven »

Have you checked for error codes?
dark_uk

Post by dark_uk »

Draven wrote:Have you checked for error codes?

Just checked and I've got;

12 RPM signal/no-signal to ecu from distributor ("ne" or "g") after engine has been cranked:
Bear87

Post by Bear87 »

probably best to check plug on distributor and maybe do a continuity check on the cables between distributor and ecu. the BGB has info on how to test the gapping etc with a feeler gauge on the pickup sensor inside the dizzy cap. sometimes in may just need a clean if your super lucky :-k
caldridge7

Post by caldridge7 »

Fit a new coolant temperature sensor.
dark_uk

Post by dark_uk »

caldridge7 wrote:Fit a new coolant temperature sensor.

I can do, but what's the reason?
Bear87

Post by Bear87 »

The coolant temp sensor (The green one) puts the efi system in closed loop. My understanding of it is the 02 sensor is not active untill the coolant sensor tells it to. Thus bad fuelling can cause bad starting or running conditions.

however i would follow your fault codes first.
I don't believe a faulty coolant sensor shows a engine management light but it can cause many issues.
MartinF

Post by MartinF »

caldridge7 wrote:Fit a new coolant temperature sensor.

Yeah, why not fit new tyres as well.........they're about as relevant.
:roll:
Blue Lexus RCF
Black MKIV UK Manual Supra
Green MK2 MR2 Tin Top
caldridge7

Post by caldridge7 »

Coolant temperature sensor is simply a classic for bad old starts. . It's cheap and easy to do... Just get it done.
dark_uk

Post by dark_uk »

Just an update.

The issue miraculously went away. She started and ran just fine all weekend.

Then this morning (on my way to work) I drove the car for about 5 minutes then half way down the ring road the engine started to sputter and it died with the rpm gauge bouncing about and the check engine light on.

Still rolling down the road I cranked the engine over again and it came back to life, drove for another 2 minutes and did the same again. I limped it home like this and hopped in my other to get to work nice and late!

I know intermittent problems like this are the hardest to diagnose. I wonder if there's any tests I can do to try and isolate the issue
dark_uk

Post by dark_uk »

Another update.

Yesterday evening I set out to inspect the ignition system and check each of the components as per the specification in the SW20 repair manual.

I think I may of found the culprit;

The coil pack has split on both sides (can't add a photo due to my profile post limitations)

New coil pack ordered! Will update again with results
dark_uk

Post by dark_uk »

Installed the coil pack last night and it started and ran a dream.

Went to get in the car this morning and died within a couple seconds of idling (before I could even put my belt on!)

Not sure what to check next, perhaps distributor?
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

Was the bracket and mating surface to the coil pack super clean? The bracket rusts badly. Its obviously earthed through the bracket then through the firewall too, so make sure the bolts are nice and clean also.
dark_uk

Post by dark_uk »

Dale_V wrote:Was the bracket and mating surface to the coil pack super clean? The bracket rusts badly. Its obviously earthed through the bracket then through the firewall too, so make sure the bolts are nice and clean also.

Good shout. I wasn't aware the pack was earthed like this! I'll take it back off and clean it up
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

Get the sandpaper/ wire brush/wheel out. :thumleft:

are you still getting any error codes?

I had a similar issue last year where it would drive fine for a while then just cut out, but restart ok again if left for 20 mins, it was the coil pack bracket...

I have also had similar symptoms and that time it was the fuel pump #-o ...just keeping your options open :eye:

your next post is 15... get some pics up
dark_uk

Post by dark_uk »

Dale_V wrote:Get the sandpaper/ wire brush/wheel out. :thumleft:

are you still getting any error codes?

I had a similar issue last year where it would drive fine for a while then just cut out, but restart ok again if left for 20 mins, it was the coil pack bracket...

I have also had similar symptoms and that time it was the fuel pump #-o ...just keeping your options open :eye:

your next post is 15... get some pics up

I didnt get chance to read any error codes as was heading to work but will try and read them tonight!

Seems to be when the car has been left overnight, I'll bet it runs fine after being sat in the sun all day. Perhaps moisture somewhere is the issue? ](*,)

It could indeed be fuel, would a failing pump cause the sudden stall of the engine? Or would it be more of a 'sputter to death'?

One last thing to note is that after the engine dies, the warning lamp is illuminated, if I go straight to crank it over and start it again the car is in some sort of limp mode where it runs rough and does not let you go on cam.
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

A dodgy pump wouldnt cause it to just die like that

what happens when you try to restart it as soon as it cuts out?

same again as per the video? or just completely refuses to start? if its the latter then pull an HT lead off, put a spark plug in, earth the plug on the engine, have someone crank the engine over while you check for a spark.

i've never experienced it myself, but it is common for the capacitors to leak on the ECU, it might be worth opening that up and carefully checking the circuit board.
dark_uk

Post by dark_uk »

Dale_V wrote:A dodgy pump wouldnt cause it to just die like that

what happens when you try to restart it as soon as it cuts out?

same again as per the video? or just completely refuses to start? if its the latter then pull an HT lead off, put a spark plug in, earth the plug on the engine, have someone crank the engine over while you check for a spark.

i've never experienced it myself, but it is common for the capacitors to leak on the ECU, it might be worth opening that up and carefully checking the circuit board.

If I crank it over again it will start right up and die again. It never struggles to start, just doesnt stay running!
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

hmmm, im sure thats a similar thing to the leaking capacitor issue, do a search on here and youll find alot of info

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”