[Mk2] [Generic] H&R -20mm lowering springs - they drop a lot lower than 20mm?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

raptor95GTS

[Mk2] [Generic] H&R -20mm lowering springs - they drop a lot lower than 20mm?

Post by raptor95GTS »

anyone got part numbers from their H&R lowering springs? I bought some -20mm which have 29884 HA stamped on the rears but compared to stock OEM (22yo springs) the drop is a lot more than 20mm. Looking at the part number on the spring it seems most places are quoting -1.3inches which is nearer 35mm

pic for show of the weird drop, fronts are a good bit higher than the rears
yokomomr4bx

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] H&R -20mm lowering springs - they drop a lot lower than 20mm?

Post by yokomomr4bx »

Hey pal, I'm also on the H&R set that you're using. I would say mine is slightly biased to the rear like yours, I can upload a photo if you would like, for comparison? It looks like your rear is a 45 profile tyre and the front is a 40 profile, or is that just my eyes haha! If thats the case that may be partly the reason for the difference in tyre to arch distance. Also worth saying that the front of mine started a little higher but did drop after a few months, come to think of it the back did as well to be honest!
raptor95GTS

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] H&R -20mm lowering springs - they drop a lot lower than 20mm?

Post by raptor95GTS »

if you could upload a photo yeah that'd be great. Rears are 255x40 and fronts are 215x40 all 17;s
yokomomr4bx

Post by yokomomr4bx »

I'll get on it tomorrow, just remembered this!
yokomomr4bx

Post by yokomomr4bx »

Here you go pal, on 17's as well, 225/45 rear and 215/45 front though.

Actually that image pretty useless because of the light, have a scroll through on photo bucket, there are probably some better ones!

raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

thanks for sharing, yeah that looks similar to mine tbh. The retailer got back to me and apparently H&R are advising him that the fronts should have 20mm cut off the bump stops............. I might be missing the point here but isn't a set of -20mm springs supposed to drop the car 20mm? I hate to think what 40mm drops do. Now it rubs on the rear and looks crap on the front! :cry: :pale:
yokomomr4bx

Post by yokomomr4bx »

Honestly I don't trust a word of the advertised drops that manufacturers state. I tried a set of Tein springs before the H&R and the front was scraping the ground (nearly).

Correct on the bump stop shortening. You'll need to take at least one 'donut' off the front and also one 'donut' off the back. I checked the damper travel without taking any bumpstop off and truly it was less than 5mm, as it is now I have just over 2 inches which is still not great but sure as heck beats riding permanently on the bumpstop rubber.

EDIT: I'm switching over to a set of 16's when I finally get some more tyres so will be interesting to see how the arch gap looks then.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

i'm tempted to clean up my stock OEM springs and fit them back in! What a crock of poop, it's not a bloody dress size it's a linear measurement so what is it with all the faffing about. I might look into spring pads as used in Mercedes and BMW's, raise the suspension a little.

Did not know anything about the bump stops.......... Makes sense I suppose esp since the springs are way shorter than OEM
yokomomr4bx

Post by yokomomr4bx »

Funny you mention spring pads...completely forgot that I tried that with the Tein springs. Only made a set for the front as the back was about right. Used a poly composite that I cut into rings the same diameter as the spring and that could sit in the recess of the upper spring cup. It did raise the front but not the same height as the depth of the ring I had made, never really understood why, in should have raised the static height up by 15mm but only raised it by about 5/6mm. That aside I drove round the block and took them straight off, very sketchy noises. I didn't cut a channel for the spring to seat into as I was kind of hoping that the compression of the spring alone would be enough that it wouldn't want to wander.

Sorry pal I don't mean to be a killjoy for ideas and I can't stand it when I read a thread where someone has an idea of something to try and then someone comes along and gives the line of 'been there done that so don't bother' etc, that's not my intention at all! Making them myself was probably a bad cheapskate way anyway, a nice dense grippy rubber compound similar to the bumpstops and with a grove/channel cut in it for the spring to seat into would probably work fine, be interesting to see it done.
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Pretty certain I don't even have bump stops - haven't noticed any adverse effects though..? I'm running Koni yellows with Apex springs.

I've found with every set of matching springs for the MR2 that the front ALWAYS sits higher. It's a massive PITA ](*,)
yokomomr4bx

Post by yokomomr4bx »

Ha nice, I would want to run maybe half an inch though, so its not metal on metal at maximum travel in potholes!
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

yeah some of the pads I've seen have a grove cut into them so the top coil is well snug in there and others are just like hockey pucks. Wouldn't be so bad if the front / rear height was the same but having it with a saggy ar$e is just annoying. Any it rubs the rear too, my fault on that for wide wheels and full tyres. Grrrrr

Ideas are all good, esp if they didn't work out as expected. I'll maybe just end up living with it as taking shocks off isn't something I can do so er yeah my helping hands aren't clapping at the thought of doing it a couple of times to sort ride heights out. Damned daily drivers ! :(
yokomomr4bx

Post by yokomomr4bx »

Ahhh mate that's frustrating! Heck if you weren't a million miles away I would gladly come over and do the dirty work. If you still have the standard springs I would say put those back on for now. I assume it's rubbing the inner lip of the wheel arch? It might be possible to roll back if you haven't had filler repair work done to the arch, otherwise I think it would be a case of slicing away a slither of lip at a time until it doesn't rub, but not remove so much material that you break the spot weld holding the inner and outer skin together!
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

ah cheers bud, much appreciated :thumleft: . It's rubbing rear drivers side and the arches were rolled many years ago which is a pain indeed. I still have the OEM springs so might look into cleaning them up and seeing if anything can be done
Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

That's a bloody pain, the H&Rs seem to be recommended and 20mm drop seemed like the perfect amount for me, looks xxxx though...

Has anyone figured it out/cured it ?
Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

***double post delted/edited***
yokomomr4bx

Post by yokomomr4bx »

It's not something that can be cured. I think the problem raptor is experiencing is partly caused by tyres that are too wide on the rear. I think aside from going down the coil-over route there is nothing to be done other than changing tyre sizes or reverting back to stock springs. As to the quality and ride of the H&R I have found them to be superior to both Tein lowering springs and a set of D2 coil-overs. I'm currently using mine on a 95 turbo but I got hold of GTSchris' 89 damper bodies with KYB AGX damper inserts from his drag car when he shut down. I have often wondered if there is any difference between damper bodies between the Revisions, particularly rev1 and rev2 and if this is what causes the varying heights we see between cars. I don't know. The ride height of mine is certainly no where near as bad as Raptors, I'll take another photo tomorrow in some sunlight to properly show the height.
Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

Cheers , particularly curious to see how they look on yellow Bilsteins... which is what I'm thinking of shooting for at present.

Or possibly just bc' s as I understand they can be set up to be quite reasonable on the road , allow height adjustment and are at a reasonable price point that considered.
yokomomr4bx

Post by yokomomr4bx »

Here's the photos as promised...

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

Looks ok, does seem a bit lower at the back.

Return to “Modifications”