Rear quad light mod - help needed

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Gullzter

Rear quad light mod - help needed

Post by Gullzter »

Right I'm doing the quad mod on rear lights and having a bit of an issue.
I've done one side completely with diodes etc, the other side I've only done the twin filament conversion but not diodes yet, I am following this guide:

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2/mk2. ... bartid=211

I wanted to try testing the lights first before completing the other side, to make sure they work which they seem to albeit temperamental, i.e. When I put hazards on, not only do the rear ambers light up but all the twin filaments flash with hazard aswell.

Will not having all the diodes connected cause this?

I also have the fog light switch disconnected as it is broke and will be getting a replacement, could this have any bearing on causing issues?

Last but not least, I've got the diodes in the picture below, hoping someone can confirm which way round they go? I've got the grey side closest to bulb holders just now, is this correct?

Pauln

Re: Rear quad light mod - help needed

Post by Pauln »

Hiya Munir

If the fog light switch is disconnected, there can't be any current flowing along the blue wire on that diagram so that shouldn't make any difference to your rear light setup.

But I'm a bit confused when you say the gray band is nearest to the bulb holders.

the gray band on diode 1 and he gray band on diode 2 should be closest to the inner lamp holder, which means that the gray band on diode 2 must be furthest away from the outer lamp holder on the same side.

This will allow current flowing down the brake light feed to pass through diode 1 into the brake light filament on the outer light on the same side of the car. Whilst diode 2 will stop that same current passing through it and back to your fog light switch.

Hope that makes sense.

If the hazard switch is lighting up the rear lamps as well something is very wrong with the way you've wired this, so I'd check that you've fitted the diode the correct way around and that they are in the brake and fog light feeds and that you've not done anything strange to the green chassis earth.

If all else fails post a photo so I can see exactly how you've wired this.

Regards
Paul
simpson_eh

Post by simpson_eh »

i want to do this mod as they have used one of my reverse lights as a fog, are rev1-2 same fitment in the lights (bulb holder) for the three pin holder? on a rev 3 ?

cheers just cant source the holders at normal money on ebay as they wont seperate from the light s
If you see an MR2 with a raised engine cover, the bottom line is it's probably faster than your car.
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

I'm 99.9% sure I've wired it correctly but I'll post a pic tomorrow. The way i have the diodes is exactly in the link, the grey side of the diodes are both closest to the inner (new twin filament) lamp.
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

simpson_eh wrote:i want to do this mod as they have used one of my reverse lights as a fog, are rev1-2 same fitment in the lights (bulb holder) for the three pin holder? on a rev 3 ?

cheers just cant source the holders at normal money on ebay as they wont separate from the light s

If you have a rev2 loom with twin filament bulb holders on the inner out outer pairs of lights, strictly speaking the lug layout on the rev 2 bulb holders is slightly different.

Some folks claim to be able to make them fit with a bit of a giggle, but I could never get them to fully turn and lock properly.
easily modify rev2 lamp holders and rev3 lights to ensure you can turn the bulb holders all the way to lock correctly.

The other alternative is to source the rev3 loom, but then you'll find that the plug/socket arrangement within the boot was reversed when they went from rev 1/2 to rev 3+. Which is why I chose to use my rev 2 loom and modify lamp holders and lamps for a good secure fit.

Paul
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

Gullzter wrote:I'm 99.9% sure I've wired it correctly but I'll post a pic tomorrow. The way i have the diodes is exactly in the link, the grey side of the diodes are both closest to the inner (new twin filament) lamp.

I'm assuming this is on your rev3 turbo, and you have sourced a couple of 3 wire sockets and spliced them in to replace the stock 2 wire sockets on the inner pair. Might be worth checking that bit of wiring is as it should be.

For the hazards to flash the rear lights almost sounds like some sort of ground (earth) fault. Hopefully all will become clear when you post the pic.

Paul
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Having issues uploading photos to Photobucket just now, however I've tried changing the Led flasher relay back out for the stock relay and does the same however the funny thing is the left side flashes normal speed, right side flashes too fast as if it's picking up a dodgy bulb (but all bulbs are good), could that have anything to do with it?
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Right so now I've tried adding the diodes the other side, I've tried both the stock and aftermarket led flasher relays.
What I'm getting now is all 4 tails lighting up, BUT, the brake lights are the original inner 2 PLUS the indicators? :-k
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

In case this helps anyone else, here's a copy of the diagram I produced to help Munir sort his "quad rear light conversion" wiring issues out.

Paul
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

unless I'm missgin something really obvious, the quad light conversion doesn't touch the indicator / hazard lights at all. It's only the 4 red lenses that are modified. At least that's how I did mine..
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

raptor95GTS wrote:unless I'm missgin something really obvious, the quad light conversion doesn't touch the indicator / hazard lights at all. It's only the 4 red lenses that are modified. At least that's how I did mine..

Yes, that's correct. No modifications are needed to the indicators, only the rear, brake and fog lights.

Paul
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Almost fully sorted, thanks to Paul taking time out his day to write up the diagram and giving me a call to talk it through, turns out I managed to mix up my indicators for the inner lights somehow ](*,)

Thanks again :thumleft:
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

it's a great mod even if the driver never sees or feels it haha. Good job :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”