What harness what revision kill me now

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

clyde06

What harness what revision kill me now

Post by clyde06 »

Hello chaos this is the last resort I have tried garages and all sorts. I'll start from the beginning. My wife bought me a mr2 turbo 93 rev 2 shell for my birthday as a project. The engine bay was completely bare. So I kept my eye out for a dinar car but tbh I didn't really have space so I started buying the bits I needed. Starred with engine and gearbox was told it was a rev 2 turns out it's a rev1. So rebuilt the engine forged cp pistons Manley rods cometic gasket etc. Basically the engine is ready To go in

I got sick of buying random bits so I got a rev1 tubby for the bits fitted alot to the engine bay noticed the fuel relay is a square plug on the rev2 and round on 1 then noticed there was a mechanical speedo drive on the 1 but my 2 has no space for it so I looked at taking the speedo cable and clocks etc but the cluster plugs are different so I can't fit rev 1 clocks .

To make matters worse I want to eventually make it a rev3 because I have an apexi power fc to use ct20 and the rev3 injectors. Unknown about the sensors I'll need. So here it is.

Do I get a rev2 loom and try to change to rev 3 later.

Is there away to use current rev1 loom?

Do I get a rev 3 loom and passenger loom and hope that it works in my rev 2 un till the engine has been run in then fit the apexi etc.

Any help or advice would be amazing I'm ready to kill myself I hate electrics:)

Thanks
Bear87

Re: What harness what revision kill me now

Post by Bear87 »

If your looking to change it all again in the future why bother doing the job twice. Bite the bullet with a stand alone ecu. Some are very reasonable. The apexi pfc is awesome but its old tech some of the moden ones will be more open to programming an odd array of parts and sensors. As for a rev 3 conversion i think you need to change the head to fit the rev 3 fuel rail. Or keep the rev 1 head and upgrade injectors and rail and let the ecu do the work. You can get great power out of rev 1 and 2's and you can adapt the rev3 ct20 turbo easily. Im not sure of the answer for the speedo. Rev 1 is cable driven from gearbox to clocks and rev 2 onwards is electronic and involves fitting wheel sensors if you dont already have them. There are options on the market to make speedos work. Gps etc. Or may be a gear box change if your set on oem fitment.

You should seen paul from wood sport/ driftlimits a pm this is his area and he really knows his stuff!
clyde06

Post by clyde06 »

Cheers bear. That's the thing atm why I'm not rushing I don't want to do it twice. I dropped on the pro power fc at a good price. I think gullz on here has a loom for me so may be ok. I emailed Woodsport today asking for advice.
clyde06

Post by clyde06 »

I also have the fuel rail for the 3 conversion it's just the map mat etc I need sort.
Bear87

Post by Bear87 »

It may be an idea to install your pfc to a rev3 loom Then run a base map that im sure someone on here can hook you up with that. But bear in mind you may have to change the pin out arrangement at the ecu end as it may be set for rev1 or 2. At least then you can get it running properly and mod and map from there. If you have a rev 1 engine your loom will require for the factory set up has a air flow meter. As the rev 3 uses a map sensor insted. So a rev 3 loom will prob req the least amount of work for what you want.

I will keep following the thread with intrest :thumleft:

But trust me your car problems are not as bad as mine! :lol:
clyde06

Post by clyde06 »

Thanks for your advice man. I'll have a look out for a rev3 loom too then. I did think about doing that with the fc rang a few tuners they advised against it and said run it in as standard as possible with oem ecu etc. If your trouble are worse than mine dude then I'll bring the petrol and matches we can send them off together ? :lol: :lol:
Bear87

Post by Bear87 »

Lmao with the amount of smoke and raw fuel spitting out of my exhaust you would barly need a spark let alone a match to set it off ](*,)

Im 2 years into my project and saturday was the first day i actually got to drive it! Neighbors wernt happy but i couldnt resist!
clyde06

Post by clyde06 »

Mine was a 2 year plan it will be 12 months in July I was hoping to have it running then for my birthday. Plus I now have 2 non running mr2 on the drive and the bmw is on the road and my lady is going nuts plus the engine has been in the kitchen u months now :whistle:
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

Bear87 wrote: Rev 1 is cable driven from gearbox to clocks and rev 2 onwards is electronic and involves fitting wheel sensors if you dont already have them.

LOL wheel sensors????? Are you sure you aint mixing this up with ABS

The only thing you need to convert the mechanical to electric is a Live - Earth and Sender wire.

Pretty easy job to convert
Bear87

Post by Bear87 »

alanmr2turbo wrote:
Bear87 wrote: Rev 1 is cable driven from gearbox to clocks and rev 2 onwards is electronic and involves fitting wheel sensors if you dont already have them.

LOL wheel sensors????? Are you sure you aint mixing this up with ABS

The only thing you need to convert the mechanical to electric is a Live - Earth and Sender wire.

Pretty easy job to convert

ha ha having a blonde moment! :oops: cheers for the correction Alan.
okay to recap (hopefully correctly) you would need a rev2 speedo sensor in your gearbox to convert the signal from mechanical to electronic signal.
clyde06

Post by clyde06 »

Jolly good show. Well it looks like I'm in the up the legend gullz is selling me his loom so I should be ok I believe it's a rev 2 loom so all looking good. New s plugs Coolant fuel and oil filters and the hose from hell and hell on earth have been ordered don't know why I didn't replace them sooner as they coming from Japan ffs. So hopefully I can get this engine in Worthing the next month. Fitted the moman plasma dials too last night that I ordered last year. Think I have gone off them the now tho :/
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

tcbparts has all those parts on the shelf. They are in cornwall lol
clyde06

Post by clyde06 »

What the sensors etc for rev3 convert?
Bear87

Post by Bear87 »

Thats a great point TBC parts do have everything you will need. If you speak to trevor or paul they will put you in the right direction (be prepared for a good long chinwag though) them boys can talk your ear off :-#
clyde06

Post by clyde06 »

Haha love a good chat me lol. I emailed tcb business earlier hopefully hear back tomorrow just remind me how I upload pics on here dude. I'll keep updated
Bear87

Post by Bear87 »

Ha if you figure out how to upload pics let me know too never figured it out! The profile pic took me a week :lol:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”