Track day wheels/tyres advice

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Winger300

Track day wheels/tyres advice

Post by Winger300 »

I recently purchased an MR2 for use on track days. The only road use will be driving to/from the track.

Currently it is on OZ racing 16"x7.5J ET35 wheels front and back, with non-brand 205/55/16 tyres all round.

I'm really struggling to find a good solution for wheels and tyres. Obviously with the wheels I have now, the rear track narrower than the front.

I was thinking the best solution would be to get a set of stock 15" wheels, as I understand the handling will be best as originally designed.

The problem I'm having is getting a matched set of 4 in standard sizes for the MR2. The only Toyo r888 tyres I can find are soft compound fronts, and medium compound rears.

The next option is Toyo R888R tyres, but they are more money than I'd like to spend at this point.

It seems I can get some Yokohoma AD08r tyres in 195 and 205 widths. Is this a sensible option? Am I really going to notice much difference compared with a 225 on the rear?

Any other options I've missed?
Last edited by Winger300 on Sat May 06, 2017 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RePete

Re: Track day wheels/tyres advice

Post by RePete »

I'd still be inclined to use 225 rear tyres if possible. Those OZ Racing wheels give you more options for tyre sizes, give you a slightly wider track front & rear and are scads lighter than the OEM clunker wheels. I'd stick w/ the OZs for sure.
Winger300

Post by Winger300 »

Wouldn't it need spacers on the rear, even with a 225 tyre?
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Stick with the OZ wheels :thumleft:

Up to you if you want to run a rear spacer but 16" is a good compromise for handling and tyre availability - 15" wheels will require balloon tyres to maintain standard rolling radius and if you're tracking the car then a slightly lower profile tyre would be best anyway.

205 front and 225 rear should be ok on 7J (7.5J?)

AD08R's are fantastic :D
auzzam

Post by auzzam »

I've got r888s on my stock 15s (although I've not tracked it yet, waiting for the weather to get better)

I've got medium compounds 195 on the front and 215s on the rear. Last year I took the stocks to the track with the non brand tyres it came with (195 front and 205 rear) so I'm hoping the wider rears plus track compound will much improve the limits.

Look for a second hand pair, they're some real good bargains to be had.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”