Air flow question

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

CurtisRW

Air flow question

Post by CurtisRW »

Just wandering if anyone can point me in the direction of some info or tell me about the air flow for the Mk1b?

I was thinking of getting K&N air filter but wasn't sure how effective this would be since it would surely no longer be utilizing the side fins which are where the stock system pulls the air from? - am I right?

So I was thinking about getting one of those side air scoops to pull air in directly where the filter would be but have since read that the air comes in from underneath the car and that one of these scoops would be a bad idea as it will disrupt the air flow?

Can anyone confirm the above? whats a good solution? what are you all doing for n/a intakes?

Thanks for any help :D
jimi

Re: Air flow question

Post by jimi »

The only real difference fitting a cone filter (of any make) to a MK1 is increased induction noise and appearance, other than that there's no reason to change from the standard set up, there's no appreciable power gain to be made.
In my case I reckon I lost bottom end torque and after 6-8 months went back to the standard 1b setup (less the resonator box, which does nothing anyway)
IMHO you'd be better off spending the money on overhauling the brakes or buying braided brake lines :wink:
Last edited by jimi on Sat May 06, 2017 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: Air flow question

Post by Lauren »

Just stick the cone filter in the boot where it mounts to the metal pipe that comes through the boot firewall. Then pull the sponge that is sitting over the inner wheel arch helping it to rot and you'll get a bit of induction noise in the cabin. Best of both worlds. :+:

Or you can just stick it straight on the throttle body, it'll sound good. There's loads of airflow from underneath the engine so don't worry about scoops.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”