XS Power Intercooler - worth it or not?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

stecad

XS Power Intercooler - worth it or not?

Post by stecad »

I've been offered an XS Power I/C with all fittings (except fan) for a very good price and was thinking about adding it into my rebuild project.
The engine is out of the car at the moment so it would be quite straight forward to stick it in.
I already have a set of red Samcos to fit the water and standard I/C so am actually not fussed either way.
The aim of the rebuild is to clean up the engine and get all the usual (water pump, HFH, etc) jobs done in one big hit. I'm not fussed about big power with the key objective being a reliable car with a sharp looking engine bay.

Should I bother with the XS unit or just tidy up the current one and put the Samcos on?
markstevieandmads

Re: XS Power Intercooler - worth it or not?

Post by markstevieandmads »

Xs intercooler is bigger and thicker so this can only be a good thing.

Ive also got one for sale.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Yeah much better than the stock unit.
stecad

Post by stecad »

Many thanks.
Looks like a vote for the XS I/C.
Thanks for the offer but the one I'm being offered is a good unit off a mate for next to nothing as he owes me.
I'd been told they were just a heat soak and didn't really add anything to the equation. Couldn't quite see it myself but then there's always pluses and minuses in most things.
Engine starts going back in next weekend if all goes to plan this week.
:D
MartinF

Post by MartinF »

androo007 wrote:Yeah much better than the stock unit.

Is there any scientific proof of this anywhere?
Blue Lexus RCF
Black MKIV UK Manual Supra
Green MK2 MR2 Tin Top
stecad

Post by stecad »

My thoughts exactly. When Toyota designed the MR2 there will have been compromises made for all the obvious reasons, however, the car in stock form is more than enough to excite as a Sunday run-about.
I get all the bits about replacing items like the suspension bushes and other wear & tear seals etc. She is over 20 years old and needs such attention.
The plan is to keep the engine and car as standard as possible and won't be raced so she certainly won't be operating at the limits. I like to look after my toys.
I can reconcile that bigger is probably better but have not been able to find any data to prove by how much. I see the same sort of arguments with motorbike after market kit, but the best performance gains are achieved by easing off the pies.
I can see that I/C performance could be an issue with uprated engines but why not go for the charge cooler option and be done with it rather than a half way house that still suffers all the downsides of a side mounted unit.
If the XS does add a few bhp (probably all we're talking about) will it be noticeable on anything other than a rolling road print out (pure bragging rights at the pub)? :-k
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

On stock boost levels it won't make much difference. It will help if you're running higher than stock boost (assuming stock turbo etc) as the Greddy, XS Power and other similar uprated SMIC's have a larger core and are more efficient.

Yes, a chargecooler is better in an MR2 and practically eliminates the heat soak problem, but that comes with it's own set of downsides - weight being the main one as you have to run a pump, additional radiator etc.
markstevieandmads

Ive always wondered why toyota gave the front mounted 3sgte in the celica a chargecooler but the mid mounted 3sgte in the mr2 an intercooler.

Seems the wrong way round to me.
Hez

Post by Hez »

Do it, its such a cheap mod and easy to do. Good for 1-1.2bar on a standard turbo.
Could scrape the bits together for less than 100 quid.
markstevieandmads

Hez wrote:Do it, its such a cheap mod and easy to do. Good for 1-1.2bar on a standard turbo.
Could scrape the bits together for less than 100 quid.

U can have mine for £40 plus postage
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

MartinF wrote:
androo007 wrote:Yeah much better than the stock unit.

Is there any scientific proof of this anywhere?

Very little to none.
MartinF

Post by MartinF »

Al-sw20 wrote:

Very little to none.

The reason I ask is that most XS Power stuff I've seen is poorly made (poor welds, slag inside manifolds etc.)
Blue Lexus RCF
Black MKIV UK Manual Supra
Green MK2 MR2 Tin Top
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Yes there was a list somewhere to show the maximum cfm of each type with the huge phoenix power one (iirc) outflowing them all.

Xspower etc are exact replicas of the greddy. It's just bar and plate.

On the contrary - Chinese made stuff isn't what it was 10 years ago. It's a lot better now. Tbh, my experiences with it (xs power being one) have always been just fine.

As long as the core doesn't crack under the pressure (which it wont/) you're good to go.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”