MK1a / MK1b Clutch Slave Cylinder and Rod difference?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

playmonkey

MK1a / MK1b Clutch Slave Cylinder and Rod difference?

Post by playmonkey »

Continuing saga of my engine transplant. Just gone to move the car for the first time since changing the engine and box from a MK1b to my MK1a.

I decided to leave the clutch slave cylinder on the car so I wouldn't have to bleed it :roll: but have just come up with a floppy clutch pedal. I'm pretty sure that the clutch plate has not stuck... well, I suppose it could have - hmmmm

Anyways - question....

Are the clutch slave cylinders and push rods the same on the MK1a and the MK1b and... if the clutch has stuck on....

Best way of freeing it? I've already started the car with it in gear - that was exciting as I only have about five feet until a solid object!

Thanks in advance.

PM
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: MK1a / MK1b Clutch Slave Cylinder and Rod difference?

Post by Lauren »

I thought the slaves were the same, I could be wrong.

I've had the clutch stick on the AE86 once when it had been sitting a couple of years. I just did it on the starter, soon free'd it off.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Clutch slaves are all identical from 84-89, as it the clutch slave push rod, all identical.

Did you change the clutch or fit the whole engine gearbox from another car complete as one unit?

It sounds to me like either the release bearing is not installed properly or some other clutch installation fault.

If you never opened up the clutch hydraulic circuit the issue must be inside the bellhousing.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Did you put the clutch plate on the right way around?

Sounds silly but this happened to me when changing a clutch 15 years ago on a Triumph Acclaim.
playmonkey

Post by playmonkey »

Thanks for the replies.

Both cars were driving fine, gearbox and clutches ok.

I took the engine and box out of the 1b and put the whole thing in my 1a.

Never split the engine/box. I left the hydraulics intact when changing and just bolted the slave back on the replaced unit.

I've only just noticed because I needed to move the car. it never occurred to me that it wouldn't be working....

I'll have to have a closer look I suppose, but it's very odd and unexpected.

Also, for some reason the car won't roll easily. Two of us couldn't push her easily but it's definitely not turning the engine when pushing.

All very strange.
jimzzr

Post by jimzzr »

Is the clutch arm actually moving when the clutch is pressed?

You say floppy pedal is there any resistance? - I've had the seal stick in the master cylinder before when trying to bleed - i.e. relying on the spring in the master cylinder to push the seal back whereas in normal operation the force of the clutch overcomes any stickiness.
playmonkey

Post by playmonkey »

Sorry, been away for a while. Going to check on the movement when i can get someone to sit in the car and press the pedal. Ta

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”