Will's G-Limited Turbo

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

will16v

Will's G-Limited Turbo

Post by will16v »

I've been lurking around on here for a while and thought it might be a good idea to put up a build thread to record the progress on my Rev 2 G-Limited import SW20.

I bought the car late last summer locally off a friend of a friend. I'd always pined after an MR2, and although I really wanted a Turbo car, this seemed clean and tidy for the price. My initial intention was to run it until winter, then maybe sell in the spring to fund a turbo car...oh how wrong I was #-o

Here's how she sat when I got her:

So, after driving it, I loved the experience and really didn't care that it wasn't a turbo at the time, as it felt tight and looked pretty good.

But, after a run out to Manchester last November, the engine started to rattle really badly. It looked like oil starvation due to a failed oil pump.

The big ends were re-shelled but it made no difference, major internal damage had been done and I had a choice of 3 options:

1 - fix the current engine, keeping stock
2 - replace the engine with a used one
3 - install a Turbo donor engine giving me the Turbo experience I originally wanted.

I debated this for some time over the winter, until I got a call from a friend locally who had himself bought a Rev1 Turbo car to fix up. But, it turned out that car had been in a front end shunt, and badly repaired. He decided to break the car for parts and offered me the car as a donor, so I agreed.

Here's the stripped donor car on its last journey to have the engine removed:

It was a bit unfortunate to have this car broken as the shell was unusually very solid on the sills and rear arches, not a trace of rust. However the shonky front end repairs meant that none of the panels lined up properly and it would have been a massive job putting it right again, which seemed economically excessive.

I'll post some more pics up soon, but I just really wanted to start this thread so I could document some history of the car whilst in my ownership. I have quite a few new parts added to the car already, and a few choice mods going in to the engine build too...more to follow soon :)
Madabout

Re: Will's G-Limited Turbo

Post by Madabout »

Good luck Will with this project and thanks for your help with mine.

I look forward to seeing this come together as you have some nice work going on behind the scenes.
craig

Post by craig »

That looks smart! 8)

Tuned into this one :thumleft:
will16v

Post by will16v »

Ok, not too much of an update, but the white Turbo car is currently having the engine and all ancillaries removed by Peter Gidden at S-Bits in Sheffield.

I'd heard nothing but good things about Peter's work, and after a few chat's with Peter I was pretty sure he would be the guy to undertake the work to complete the Turbo conversion.

So, plans for the Turbo engine going into the G-Limited are as follows:

Rev 1 Turbo engine to be fully service with new gaskets, seals, timing and drive belts, new Excedy clutch, plugs, leads, oil pump, water pump and a few other basics.

Upon fitting, I've decided to do away with the Rev 1 engine management, and replace it with kit from a Rev 3 (ECU, Map sensor, Injectors and a bored out injector rail).

Also, keen on adding an uprated intake manifold which consists of a Rev1 flange welded to a Rev3 inlet plenum, allowing for 15 to 20 % better air flow.

Also on the lookout for a boost controller and possibly a digital 45mm digital boost gauge to add to the current dials to replace the OEM gauge.

Whilst all this has been underway, I've made a few changes to the car over the last weeks including a set of white RC Advan 17 inch alloys, black T-Bar roof liner, dome light cover and sun shades, and also some Rev 3 rear lights. I've also obtained a Blitz Nur Spec exhaust to go on with the turbo engine.

A quick pic of how she sits now whilst waiting to go in for surgery!

will16v

Post by will16v »

A bit more progress, the Rev1 Turbo engine is now out of the donor car, so things moving on now :)

The engine will need a damn good clean with all major service components replacing as its a bit of an unknown entity. Hopefully no nasty suprises lurking in there, but we shall see.

On the G-Limited, a small change today with the addition of JDM amber front lights. I'm thinking of some yellow tint film for the fog lights and possiblt some blue Raybrig light units for the main beams, if I can find any.

A few other jobs done also at the weekend, including a replacement rain try for the turbo lid, but missing half of the locating screws for that, so need to find those from somewhere. I also need to finish wiring the rear lights.

Also on the lookout for a decent boost controller and either some decent lowering springs or a set of coilovers.

Once the 3SGE comes out of the G-Limited, I'd like to clean up the engine bay and get it looking clean in there, maybe paint the heat shields and replace some of the hoses and pipes in there to complement the new install.
will16v

Post by will16v »

Madabout wrote:Good luck Will with this project and thanks for your help with mine.

I look forward to seeing this come together as you have some nice work going on behind the scenes.

Thanks James, things moving on now so should hopefully have some more updates coming soon as you know :)
will16v

Post by will16v »

craig wrote:That looks smart! 8)

Tuned into this one :thumleft:

Thanks :) i have a few ideas of what I'd like to do with the car, but I think this will be a keeper, so the plan is to build a good base mechanically, with a view to upgrade maybe later down the line.
will16v

Post by will16v »

A few more parts arrived this week, new A'pexi induction kit and a used XS Power aftermarket intercooler. Just need to find a shroud for it now.

Also on the lookout for a Berk de-cat with the flexi piece or similar, and some some lowering springs. I've been looking at Tein's for now, with a view to obtaining some coilovers at a later date.

Also, a few small mods made this week in terms of lighting, I installed some yellow tint film on the fogs, to maybe coincide with the JDM front amber side lights:

I also removed the Toyota nose cone badge and replaced it with a Midship Runabout badge, which I've always liked over the stock Toyota piece.

I also replaced the speedo bulbs with 5000K LED units which make a big difference :) Although not that easy to spot from this pic :(
Image[/URL]

I've also sent the wiper arms for powder coating and will install those once I've fitted a new windscreen lower cowl. I also painted the engine bay cross brace in 3E5 red and will do the same for the front brace.
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

Coming together mate. The brighter instrument cluster is a small but clever detail.
will16v

Post by will16v »

Madabout wrote:Coming together mate. The brighter instrument cluster is a small but clever detail.

Thanks James, it's hard to tell from the pic, but it makes a big difference :)
will16v

Post by will16v »

Madabout wrote:Coming together mate. The brighter instrument cluster is a small but clever detail.

Thanks James, it's hard to tell from the pic, but it makes a big difference :)
will16v

Post by will16v »

A few small updates with the G-Limited, The windscreen wiper cowl was in a bad way so managed to get a decent one off a Rev 5 car which cleaned up really well.

Along with freshly powder coated wiper arms, I think it cleans up the front of the car, small details but better than before.

Old:

New:

I also got a front strut brace from a friend at a good price, which I think looks pretty, but in terms of functionality, not sure if it will do anything other than add weight! Undecided on this piece.

will16v

Post by will16v »

A few small styling updates whilst I'm waiting for the engine conversion to complete.

First up a set of Recaro Confetti seats. These came up locally and were too good to pass up being so local. The driving position is great, better than the original SW20 items IMO. I believe these were a factory upgrade item offered in Japan, so pretty rare, i love them :)

On the exterior I had ended up with a couple of pairs of the chrome headlight surrounds which were sat there doing nothing. When the lights were up, you could see bits of pitting and rust and didn't look great, so I had these bead blasted and powder coated in gloss black to match the head light surrounds. A small details but the front end with lights up looks a little bit tidier for it :)

Old:

Refurb complete!:

Installed:

I also cleaned up the light covers which came up pretty nicely too, so much fresher:

Return to “Member Profiles”