Bigperm Mr2 ebay

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

VGB

Bigperm Mr2 ebay

Post by VGB »

Yellow rev4 tin top turbo listed on eBay. Is on Facebook with work done by Big Perm garage in Swansea.
The car ticks all the boxes for me just not sure could justify the price.
There are a few bits I'm not so keen on like wheels, rear fog light in bumper and the harnesses.
What's people's views?
androo007

Re: Bigperm Mr2 ebay

Post by androo007 »

Strong money...and I'm a tight ar$e.....but.....imho worth it.

As long as the blow over job wasn't crap (and I fear it will bring problems as blown overs are never the best) then it's got some seriously good trick kit on there. With the low mileage, rare colour and parts - it's a good buy.

Good modest upgrades.....I like it a lot!
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302297486826

It looks ok, nothing special... But then I'm not really a fan of bodykits, and that's all it really has to offer

The paint job, looks ok, but then most photos do and in the flesh they are wrecks. I bet in person you could rip it apart in flaws. Paint work needs to be done right, the first time, otherwise you're going to have to do it again PROPERLY in the future. I feel he wouldn't have mentioned the "blow over" part if it was a great job, but he's put it in there to prepare potential customers. Call me cynic
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

I saw the video to this car incidentally, looks ok my one niggle would be the speedo wasn't working.

You can see the video on youtube
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

It's about 2-2.5k over priced as a starting point..

It looks nice but it's pretty much stock, bar the (admittedly quite nice) cosmetic stuff. The wheels are lovely, it's a crying shame they've been painted black tbh.

The interior looks rubbish with the cheap cobra seats, and fake (99.99% sure) nardi wheel. Also, Rev 4 - shouldn't it have a passenger airbag dash?

MOT history check says it wasn't MOT'd between 2008 and 2017, so the 'sat for 5 years' thing is a blatant lie. What else have they lied about? What else needs replacing - probably every bush, hose etc is about to self destruct if it's sat for that long disintegrating.

No underside photos?
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
craig

Post by craig »

Strong money for a rev 3 turbo. I do quite like the look of the car, the kit and wheels suit it, and it seems to fit ok.

As Rob said, it's a late rev3 turbo. Unless someone has gone to the huge effort of replacing the airbag dash with a non airbag one!!

Not keen on that fog light inset into the rear bumper, kind of ruins the smooth look for me.

Also, as previously mentioned, no underside pics. It'd be interesting to see what the sill condition is like under the skirts.
auzzam

Post by auzzam »

someone once said that yellow turbos only went up to Rev3 (a user on here was looking for one about a year or so ago)

If thats true, its either an NA turned into a turbo or not a Rev4 ... either way I dont think its worth the asking price (coming from someone who currently owns a yellow rev3 turbo)

also that mileage has stayed roughly the same over a decade... not a suprise though if the speedo doesnt work - but then can you really be sure of the mileage?

If it is worth that money though - maybe time to stick mine up :)
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

I think it is a rev 4 - has the indicators on the wings, as opposed to the (much better looking) 'toblerones'

If you were going to jump to conclusions, you'd probably guess the interior, after sitting for TEN years was probably a bit manky and mouldy and was replaced with whatever was on hand? I may be wrong though, it could be a late Rev 3 with the wrong wings fitted..

Either way.. £7k gets you a lot of car.. this is not a lot of car for the money. If it was forged/big turbo/standalone ECU etc then yes, or if it was 100% factory stock and had documented enthusiast history then maybe yes..
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

Turbo Rev 4s should have a passenger airbag, of course as well as the ugly first gen driver's airbag. Until it's was thankfully changed for rev 5

Changing out the indicators is an easy mod to do.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

The plate suggests Rev4 as P registration is August 1996 - July 1997. Rev3/4 changeover was June 1996. Of course being an import that isn't a very reliable method... :lol:
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

Gazza_DJ wrote:The plate suggests Rev4 as P registration is August 1996 - July 1997. Rev3/4 changeover was June 1996. Of course being an import that isn't a very reliable method... :lol:

Sure it is! I have seen more than a few rev1's which were built in 1999 or 2000 - even a few 2006 SW's here and there!!

They must have been stuck on the production line up the back or something. L@@K!
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

JDM and UKDM are different

Rev 3 started in Japan late '93, in UK it was on an 'M' 95

The car in question is a rev 3 not that it makes that much difference
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Source on that Odin? AFAIK Japan and UK are the same for revision dates.

Only market that differs is North America.
craig

Post by craig »

Odin_S wrote:JDM and UKDM are different

Not sure that's correct. Seen loads of L Reg rev 3 UK cars.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Indeed. Date ranges for parts in the parts catalogue show late 93 for EU rev3 parts as well.
auzzam

Post by auzzam »

craig wrote:

Not sure that's correct. Seen loads of L Reg rev 3 UK cars.

Mine being one of them \:D/
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

craig wrote:

Not sure that's correct. s.

It's not correct
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

I'm pretty sure late 1993 was the changeover year for rev2 to rev 3 turbos. According to the VIN number my rev 2 turbo was originally manufactured in Aug 1993 and on import it was given a L plate reg. But as has been confirmed there are definitely L plate rev 3s out there as I've used an L reg off a rev 3 when I needed to buy rev 3 rear light spares from the main dealer. My own reg wasn't acceptable on their system.

The mention that it's only had a blow over rather than a "full respray" coupled with the fact that you don't know what it's like under the fibre glass bits would worry me.

Given the amount of work that he claims to have done to the car, it seems odd that he didn't bother to repair the speedo before he made the video. Which is presumably why he also hasn't tried to put a new MOT on the car.

Fitting the fog lamp in the bumper also spoils the lines, and begs the question why he didn't just do the usual quad conversion.

Given the price and the work done, I find it odd that there are no photos of the engine bay, interior, frunk etc.

I also spotted that in the video he appears to have used the "coat" hanger bolt hole for the shoulder harness strap fitting. If that is the case, I don't think that's too clever unless he's modified these to take the load.

It may be a brilliant car as he claims, but until you see it in the "flesh" its hard to judge from photos. "skin deep" keep floating around my head. I hope I'm wrong.

Paul
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

There are pictures of it, pre paint, on his Facebook page for anyone who cares.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

i agree, you are paying for a bodykit and blow over.
no pass airbag, has to be a rev3.

cool colour and wheels, (wheels were DIY refurb, not professional) if it was rev4, id expect price to be up there given the rarity of rev4/5s.

but interior and the engine bay (which noone has mentioned), isnt what youd expect for a 7k+ mr2.
the engine bay is tired!

with no speedo working and as rob said no mot for 10years, i would have expected some underneath shots (who knows, rust maybe covered by the kit).

still i like the look of it, but id expect more from engine to justify a price close to that, even if it wasnt forged and just tidied up real nice.
potential if you could get it for the 5-6k mark.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”