[Mk2] [Turbo] Is 1bar ok for a rev 2 turbo

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

markstevieandmads

[Mk2] [Turbo] Is 1bar ok for a rev 2 turbo

Post by markstevieandmads »

So now i have my boost problem sorted im just asking for opinions

I used to run 0.9bar with a standard ct26 and basically standard setup on my rev 2.

Ive since installed a decat,hybrid ct26, walboro pump and a gt4 st205 chargecooler setup.
I have yet to fit a wideband to monitor everything but would you say 1bar boost is ok to run in my current setup at the moment?
Ive gone for a nice run down the m4 full boosting and basically going through quarter of a tank of fuel in ten miles (lol) and the chargecooler is cool to the touch so im guessing the inlet temp is ok.
Running a walboro now as well so hopefully the fuelling should be ok though i know a wideband would help to know whats going on better.

General temps all good.

Opinions?
Bear87

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Is 1bar ok for a rev 2 turbo

Post by Bear87 »

Have you uprated the head gasket to a metal one? I know that is the main thing holding people off higher boost levels on rev 1 and 2s

I am running a hybrid ct26 at 1.1bar my car doesnt work properly currently for long term results but the engine builder assures me the engine (with uprated headgasket) will hold well above this.

The only thing that may hold you back is if you are still running the small 440cc injectors?
markstevieandmads

Im hoping the wideband will help with my question but cant afford one at the mo.

Not sure bout the hg. Tbh most of this car has been found to be standard so probably be the standard hg.

I am contemplating knocking it down to 0.9bar. I did notice it was colder today than usual plus it tended to hit 1bar near the redline and was really only sort of 0.95bar.
Bear87

Post by Bear87 »

Its best to play it safe. You may also need a fuel cut defender. Just to add to your list of costs.
I know how you feel tho! :lol:
markstevieandmads

Bear87 wrote:Its best to play it safe. You may also need a fuel cut defender. Just to add to your list of costs.
I know how you feel tho! :lol:

Already got a fcd.
Hez

Post by Hez »

I ran 1 bar on a rev 2 for 2 years and blew the headgasket, replaced for a metal one and as far as i know its still ok 8 years on. If you want a reliable car just stick to standard but we all know you cant do that :D
I would go for it just accept that more boost = more chance you will blow something you might be fine or you might not.
As above if it does go and you put a metal gasket on there it will run 1 bar all day long.
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

The fuel pump upgrade is probably overkill. A hybrid ct26 won't run out of fuel with it, despite what the sales material says. The injectors run out of fuel before the pump does, and that is at around ~275rwhp.
markstevieandmads

Al-sw20 wrote:The fuel pump upgrade is probably overkill. A hybrid ct26 won't run out of fuel with it, despite what the sales material says. The injectors run out of fuel before the pump does, and that is at around ~275rwhp.

So fuelling "should" be ok (though the wideband will confirm this) and the temps should be ok because of the chargecooler.
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

Yeah if you have any doubts, get it on a dyno with a Wideband and check.

3sgte's run pig rich. Even at 253rwhp I was sitting on 11:1 a/f with stock fuel system on my old gen2 engine.
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

I've been running 1bar on my rev2 with rev3 fueling conversion for over 7yrs with no problems.

Head gaskets can go at anytime. Mine went boom when i was running standard boosting yet i also know of people running 1.2bar for many years on the standard rev1/2 gasket with the fueling mods.

Return to “Mechanical”